Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Sharpening End Mills On The Lathe

Supporting Member The Hobby Machinist NZ's Avatar
    Thanks

The Hobby Machinist NZ's Tools

Sharpening End Mills On The Lathe

Sharpening End Mills On The Lathe-sharpening-end-mills-lathe.png

In this video I show how I sharpened my dull end mills on my lathe. I setup the end mill in the correct position and use a makeshift tool post grinder to grind the flutes.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to The Hobby Machinist NZ For This Useful Post:

Carnel (Feb 10, 2023), durrelltn (Feb 12, 2023), fergiomaria (Sep 1, 2023), hemmjo (Feb 10, 2023), Home-PC (Feb 12, 2023), Jon (Feb 9, 2023), kboy0076 (Dec 6, 2023), mr mikey (Feb 9, 2023), nova_robotics (Feb 9, 2023), odd one (Feb 10, 2023), piper184 (Sep 1, 2023), Ralphxyz (Feb 9, 2023), Resident114 (Feb 10, 2023), schuylergrace (Feb 9, 2023), Sleykin (Feb 9, 2023), trevor_60_r (Feb 10, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Very nice. I know people say you are not supposed to do grinding on a lathe, but if you are careful and clean up when finished, it opens so many possibilities.

I have been wanting to get a CBN to use for sharpening on the lathe. As I understand the do not release grit that can damage the lathe. Has anyone done that? I don't know enough about CBN wheels yet to know that to purchase. They are pricey.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks The Hobby Machinist NZ! We've added your End Mill Sharpening Method to our Sharpening category,
    as well as to your builder page: The Hobby Machinist NZ's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Very nice. I know people say you are not supposed to do grinding on a lathe, but if you are careful and clean up when finished, it opens so many possibilities.

I have been wanting to get a CBN to use for sharpening on the lathe. As I understand the do not release grit that can damage the lathe. Has anyone done that? I don't know enough about CBN wheels yet to know that to purchase. They are pricey.
    I use CBN and diamond wheels. Neither wear very much at all. I have probably sharpened hundreds of milling cutters, drill bits, engine valves and tappets etc, and the only visually obvious wear is a slight rounding of the edges.
    Most people have the wrong idea about grinding debris. Most of it is the steel that you have ground away, only a tiny proportion is grinding wheel grit. If it were mostly wheel grit then the wheel would be wearing way too fast. Of course the opposite applies when dressing a standard type wheel, then it is all wheel grit.

When grinding on a lathe or milling machine I cover where applicable and directly under the wheel I put some flat magnets and cover them with a wet towel. That catches everything. Another implementation of the magnet idea is shown here DIY surface grinder if you scroll down the initial post.

Sharpening End Mills On The Lathe-dsc_0644.jpg Sharpening End Mills On The Lathe-dsc_0632.jpg Click for full size.
    Magnets attached to the aluminium wheel cover with tape. When the tape is removed the deris just drops out.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Sep 7, 2023), rayh__ (Sep 7, 2023), reysl1949 (Sep 8, 2023), rlm98253 (Sep 7, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Grinding Wheel Debris Cover to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information