Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Improved Socket Organizers for Your Tool Chest for Free!

Thanks

tmate3's Tools

Improved Socket Organizers for Your Tool Chest for Free!

The space in most of our tool boxes is limited. Socket clips are a pain when it comes to removing sockets. Commercial socket organizers take up too much space and often have pegs for sockets we don't have or need.

I am dealing with this problem by making my own socket organizers out of some pieces of scrap hardwood floor I have on hand. I lined up all the sockets on a bench, measured the length of the row, and measured the largest and smallest sockets. Drilled large and small holes at the ends, and cut between them with a bandsaw. Then glued the blade gap shut.

The photos show the difference in drawer space required for regular vs. home made socket organizers. Due to the drawer height, I didn't put a base under the wooden racks to lift them out, but you could.

Most of us can recognize a socket size by looking at it and don't need labels. Just use different racks for inch and metric.

Improved Socket Organizers for Your Tool Chest for Free!-socket1.jpg Improved Socket Organizers for Your Tool Chest for Free!-socket2.jpg Improved Socket Organizers for Your Tool Chest for Free!-socket3.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to tmate3 For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 21, 2021), chainsawd (Jan 20, 2021), Crusty (Jan 20, 2021), dubbby (Jan 24, 2021), jackhoying (Jan 20, 2021), mcthistle007 (Jan 25, 2021), mlochala (Jan 21, 2021), Philip Davies (Feb 21, 2021), Rangi (Sep 30, 2022), saguaro (Jan 24, 2021), sak778 (Jan 24, 2021), Scotty1 (Mar 17, 2023), scrollworks (Sep 27, 2022), toeless joe (Jan 24, 2021), Tule (Jan 25, 2021), verticalmurph (Mar 6, 2023)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I have that very same problem and this solution is how I'm going to fix it. Thanks for the great idea.

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    ancient Sidchrome socket sets did something similar, but made of folded sheet metal. The sheet metal was about 0.5mm thick, and simply folded into a tapered tray shape with the ends spotwelded closed.

That is the method I plan to make for some of my installs, and the thinner floor material overcomes the height issue described above.

Des

5. The Following User Says Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

sak778 (Jan 24, 2021)

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    Great idea!

I once made an organizing tray for my roll around toolbox at work using some scrap 3/8" plywood. I literally glued it together with a hot glue gun and then sprayed it with Duplicolor aerosol truck bed liner. I didn't have very high expectations for it lasting very long, but to my surprise it lasted several years and was still very solid when I passed it on to someone else. What surprised me most was that the cheap truckbed liner was still intact and showed no signs of chipping or peeling.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tmate3! We've added your Socket Organizer to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: tmate3's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    That looks like a good idea. But my socket drawer is FULL. I mean really full.

I think it could be improved upon with some thin gauge (1/16"), aluminum angle, 1/2" or 3/4" size. One length of angle and notch it (BIG notch) at one end for the small end then bend it around the smallest socket. Then at the large end remove the bottom side of the angle, leaving a tab to create a semi-circular, wrap-around on that end. Use a tab from both sides. Again, bend first one side tab around the largest socket and then bend the other side tab over that first one. Let the overlap of the two side tabs hold it together. Or add some epoxy or other glue between them. That would make the sides thinner and waste less space.

I agree that you do not need the size markings on the holder. I don't remember what sizes fit which bolts anyway so I usually just grab one, try it, and repeat until I have the correct socket.
    Paul A.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Somewhere on this planet is a large pile of 10mm sockets. I see you are missing yours as well.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    I just moved my box of random sockets onto a set of Harbor Freight organizers. You're right they are too big, but wow it's nice to have them where you can find them instead of rooting around in the box for 5 minutes.

I like your design. Do you have anything good for sorting wrenches?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    I just moved my box of random sockets onto a set of Harbor Freight organizers. You're right they are too big, but wow it's nice to have them where you can find them instead of rooting around in the box for 5 minutes.

I like your design. Do you have anything good for sorting wrenches?
    Not I, that's for sure! It started well enough.
    Collected all the loose tools, chiefly are wrenches. Began sorting them. Imperial, metric, sockets, deep sockets, impact sockets, 6 point, 8 point, 12 point, adjustable, combination, double open end, double box end, offset, pipe, strap, chain, starter-generator, S pattern, service, oversize, spud, ratcheting single end, ratcheting double end, nut drivers, handled hex keys, distributor (2 vehicles), and the specialties for certain equipment, i.e. I like 3/4'' x 7/8'' box end on the Bridgeport pattern mill, 1/2'' x 9/16'' for lathe compound and carriage stop, etc.

The table (10' walk ramp on sawhorses) is full, sorting mostly done. Next step seems to be making up sets, and returning orphans to their logical group. Not difficult with sockets and combination wrenches, no clue on the various formed types. May be forced into adopting shadow boards, a concept I don't like, regardless promotion by yay-sayers.

Admittedly, it's the A-frame space eating cart I don't like. Hinged panels like a rug display, or sliding hardware store type...... but not consuming floor space.
    And foam? NWIH, worst of all, I mean is everyone right handed? It's clumsy, expensive by virtue of needing drawers in cabinets - that some tools won't even fit. That's all before going insane cutting out little pockets.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

tmate3's Tools
    I try to keep at least one set of every size wrench where I can find them without having to paw through multiple tool boxes.

Top is Imperial (inch), bottom is metric. Big wrenches are in drawers, as they take up too much wall space.

Improved Socket Organizers for Your Tool Chest for Free!-img_4786.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information