Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: A simpler stronger smaller fisher space pen ?

Thanks

jere's Tools

A simpler stronger smaller fisher space pen ?

This is a new ( at least as far as i know) idea for a pen design i came up with. I have been planning to make a fisher space like pen since i bought a metal lathe but didnt have design idea. This was until the other day when i was carving a pumpkin for my 4 year old daughter the other day. I was using a hf exacto knife and the idea came when i noticed it had a hollowed body and common threads.

I like simple strong small design in everything, so i tried to incorporate those three "s" s. The biggest flaws i found with the space pen i once had were that it was made of soft heavy brass tube, the clip always broke or got lost, and the annoying cap. Driving taxi for a living i had to write down phone numbers and addresses quickly as they are dispatched by radio, usually while driving. One hand for the cars steering, one hand for the radio mic and one hand to write.... Already not enough hands and i have to take a cap off a pen!( I found some other solutions to that problem but just to illustrate an issue).

So here the one hand opening as small simple cheap and strong as possible pen enclosure
    A simpler stronger smaller fisher space pen ?-20151030_224311.jpg
    A simpler stronger smaller fisher space pen ?-20151030_221444.jpgA simpler stronger smaller fisher space pen ?-20151027_151611.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 2, 2015), kbalch (Nov 2, 2015), Paul Jones (Nov 3, 2015), PJs (Nov 3, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts
    Not a bad idea at all! As part of my carry when I step out, I always have a pen and small notebook. For quick notes, it's less hassle than whipping out your smartphone, unlocking it, loading an app, writing a note, then saving it. This design fits the bill for, as you said it, a small, strong and simple carry pen.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jere (Nov 3, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts
    Thanks jere! We've added your Fisher Pen to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: jere's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jere (Nov 3, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Thanks

I am thinking about making some more with smaller ink cartridges next. I could maybe add a carbide scribe,a small magnet or a stylus tip and add a second feature/tip to the other end.

Are you particular about your notebooks style at all? I have seen a few folks that have favorites.

I usually use the backs of business cards when not at work since I have them anyway. A notebook could be more useful at times.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts
    Interesting build. I carry a small composition book; this one. It holds 4.5x3.25 notebook refills like these.

If you cut about 1/2" off of the front and back covers of the notebook refill, it will slide into the composition book such that a 1/2" gap is left between the spines of the notebook refill and the composition book. A small pen can clip into that space, and then the whole mess - composition book, notebook, and pen - lies flat in my front pocket.

The challenge is finding a good pen. It has to be 5" or less in length, strong clip, and not so expensive that I can't lose it every few months.

Zebra SL-F1 - falls apart.
    Zebra Mini Ballpoint - flimsy clip.
    Pilot G2 - too bulky.

The Parker Jotter is next up on my list, but after seeing this build, I think I'm going to put some thought into making a basic pen that would better satisfy my needs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jere (Nov 3, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Thanks for tip on the composition book, it looks like the perfect way to keep the pages together.

The Parker jotter was what I used after the original space pen I had. The clip only lasted about 2-3 days and got snagged on something, snapped the clip right in half. the pilot v series pen clips are the best clips I have found and might be a good one to copy. when they get bent they can be bent back. They are just some softer stainless steel.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information