Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small Faceplate Clamps for the Unimat SL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Small Faceplate Clamps for the Unimat SL

I have been following the wonderful tool making work for small faceplate clamps at the website Faceplate Clamps - Adventures in Watchmaking**. The original designs were for use on a Cowells 90CW lathe and I adapted mine to fit a similar sized lathe which is a Unimat SL 1000.

Below I photographed the new clamps on one of the pages to my machining notebooks that I use to keep copies of my design drawings, notes, and sometimes example photos downloaded from other websites. The grid paper is handy for sketching ideas during the construction. This way I keep a record of my work in case I want to make more of the same parts.

In addition I included photos of the faceplate clamps under construction using the Unimat milling head to align a small 4-40 tap for threading. The thin wood strips prevent marring the brass. Later, I replaced the hex head machine screws needed to level the clamp with stainless steel 4-40 cap screws which are easier to adjust with an Allen wrench (yes these are small tool parts but very suitable for the Unimat). Shown in the posted photos are the faceplate clamps attached to an improved faceplate than the standard one supplied with the Unimat (see posting http://www.homemadetools.net/unimat-...ate-and-clamps )

Paul Jones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small Faceplate Clamps for the Unimat SL-small-faceplate-clamps-used-homemade-unimat-faceplate.jpg   Small Faceplate Clamps for the Unimat SL-faceplate-clamps-stored-unimat-cabinet.jpg   Small Faceplate Clamps for the Unimat SL-taping-4-40-thread-leveling-screw-clamp.jpg   Small Faceplate Clamps for the Unimat SL-using-unimat-tap-4-40-leveling-screw-thread-clamp.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 21, 2016 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added reference to improved faceplate project

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 5, 2019), kbalch (Jul 7, 2014), PJs (Oct 23, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Faceplate Clamps to our Machining and Workholding categories, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information