Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small Workshop Lift-Table

Supporting Member MetalDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools

Small Workshop Lift-Table

I made this Small Workshop Lift-Table a few years ago and use it almost daily.

Small Workshop Lift-Table-small_workshop_lift_table_5.jpg

The table is raised and lowered by using a 1/2 horse drill with a socket attachment to turn a nut welded to the end of an ACME threaded rod that goes through another ACME Nut.

As many of you know, ACME thread is considered a ‘Trapezoidal Thread Form” used for simple Leadscrews because the thread’s tooth shape wears better and allows it to carry a greater load much easier than common threaded ‘ready rod‘ ... However, you can use normal threaded rod but it will take a more hand drill torq to raise and lower the lift.

Small Workshop Lift-Table-acme_thread.jpg

Depending on the direction the threaded rod is turned with the hand drill the lift lowers or raises.

Small Workshop Lift-Table-small_workshop_lift_table_3.jpg

The Lift-Table can be lowered down close to the floor (I store mine under my Jeep) or raised to over 5 feet …

Small Workshop Lift-Table-small_workshop_lift_table_1.jpg

Photo Shows the Small Workshop Lift-Table Raised to 54″

Small Workshop Lift-Table-sand_blaster_lifttable.jpg

When I built this Small Lift-Table didn’t think I would use it as much as I do; however, it has turned out to be a wonderful ‘Back-Saver’ and I just used it again recently to transfer a heavy Sand Blasting Cabinet full of Abrasive Media from a higher table to the new lower STAND I fabricated out of leftover ‘scrap’ metal.

Small Workshop Lift-Table-stand-blasting-cabnet.jpg

There are some simple Mechanical Drawings with Dimensions for building the lift table in Adobe Acrobat PDF format that you can download from the 'Attachments' area below the example Video Link ~ DIY Workshop Lift Table - CTER's library

Small Workshop Lift-Table-small_workshop_lift_table_2.jpg

CHEERS!! :o

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Feb 16, 2016 at 08:55 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Feb 16, 2016), Doc (Dec 12, 2013), kbalch (Dec 6, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanks MetalDesigner! I've added your Workshop Lift Table to our Metalworking and Jacks and Lifts categories, as well as to your builder page: MetalDesigner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

jeanalvitre (Feb 16, 2016)

Thanks
    Awesome; that's great !

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    The other beauty of the screw drive mechanism besides simplicity is it doesn't leak down like hydraulic does. Once you use a lift table you'll wonder how you ever got by without!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 16, 2016)

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Thanks for the Note.

While I also like the simplicity of a threaded screw drive mechanism for my own personal workshop lift table... I can see how some individuals might like using a hydraulic ram for stronger lift options if the lift-table is used a lot in the lower to the ground positions ... Therefore, also designing an optional hydraulic ram mount and 'safety release catch' to work with this design.

I have modified the lift table a few times and currently drawing up a new set of multi-page (printable) .PDF mechanical drawings with both Threaded & Hydraulic Ram options to post here on Homemade Tools
    Nice thing about high-resolution PDF drawings is you can enlarge them on your computer screen to see the smallest of details; yet, also print them out on paper to take out to the shop ... or open them on an iPad in the workshop and have the best of both world.

I'll put a post on here when have the new designs done

Thanks again for the Note! CHEERS!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Feb 16, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Since I didn't have all the stuff laying around like the hydraulics, I opted for the HFT 1000# lift table. It has been handier than a shirt pocket and is most times at its full height as a work bench with stuff stored under like you. But I have to block the rails so it doesn't leak down unlike yours.

Oh well, there's always some trade off with HFT's. But it has worked brilliantly for lifting my drill/mill, the stupidly heavy 10" rotary table and other things I would have hurt myself trying to move.

BTW, what do you do to make the pdf's? Do the drawing in Solidworks then export as a pdf? Great idea to be able to put it on your iPad then scale it up and down for reference.

While I'm at it...has your buddy gotten any further with the wireless DRO? Last I saw he just did a few on eBay and they were gone.
    Last edited by C-Bag; Feb 16, 2016 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    ANSWERS to QUESTIONS

1. There is SaveAs to .PDF as part of the SOLIDWORKS CAD software 'Drawings' feature and it works quite well.

SolidWorks users can setup drawings to have an auto Part List linked to the part balloon numbers, as-well-as Exploded Views, section views, etc.
    When you make a change to the SolidWorks Part file or Assembly the drawings automatically update.

Once the drawings are done takes about 10 seconds to save it as a PDF. Default is 300 dpi but can set it for 600 dpi

2. Yes AL has been selling quite a few of the blu-DRO units and I love mine. It would feel odd using my milling machine now without using the blu-DRO wireless (Bluetooth) hooked up to the Android Tablet to create a 3-axis digital readout.

http://blu-dro.com and current email address he can be reached at is: al@blu-dro.com if you have any questions.

I will update my website tonight with this correct email address for bluDRO information
    https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...-wireless-dro/

CHEERS!!

Small Workshop Lift-Table-off-power-switch.jpg
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Feb 16, 2016 at 08:48 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Great project and build. What load can it lift (Safely)?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information