Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
Re:
What I want is a modern version of CP/M-86, built to take advantage of all the features of the modern processors. I'm not smart enough to write it myself, so I'm just doomed to get along on other folks products. I've spent about 30 years becoming a MS guru, and another 10 giving up on it. Wish I'd gone to linux the first time I heard of it.

Bill
Long before my interest in computers, actually never have had much interest in computers. I bought my first computer somewhere either in 99 or 2000 a Gateway 600 with a whopping 10gb hard drive it had windoz 98 installed A friend of mine installed Solidworks 98 in it, which was about the only thing I used the computer for was learning to make parts and assemblies of the machines I had been designing by hand on a drafting board. Tt wasn't a very short time later he talked me into installing win 2000. so he could upgrade solidworks to 2000. The gateway came with a free year of AOL and that was my first exposure to the internet I can still hear that horrible dialup connection screeching today. in 02 I decided that I wanted a machine at home to be able to work on my cad drawings so I went to a computer accessory store and filled a basket full of random parts listening to the salesman at the store I bought a bare tower with power supply the mother board a processor 30 gb hard drive 4 memory sticks turned out the board only had 2 slots so had to buy a pair of double stick holders the 3 1/2 floppy drive a CD rom modem video card keyboard and the rest of the junk like cabling and such went home and proceeded to assemble what I hoped to be a more powerful machine than I had at my shop Installed the OS and Solidworks and WOOHOO this thing was smoking literally that is. Pulled the plug removed the power supply took it back to the store the guy said it fried because it was underpowered, he replaced it with a better more powerful one. Kept that computer for a number of years. We got to Kuwait in 03 I gave my wife the gateway used the Frankinputer in my home office while I assembled a pair of more powerful boxes to replace it. About every 18 months there after I'd get a wild hair and upgrade until eventually I had a pair of machines each having 3 500 gb hard drives 32 gb memory 3 32" monitors for each, yada-yada. During this time I had discovered the uselessness of way too many laptops until I figured out that a gaming computer was as close to being a workstation as I could get in 2012 we pretty much knew we would hopefully be leaving Kuwait with in a year I bought the wife a middle range HP laptop and I found a MSI gamer's addition that someone had special ordered but never picked up 8 processors 2.00 ghz 64 bit, I7 win 7 500gb drive 16 gb memory pretty much the top of the line available at the time at least over there. By today's standards it is not much more by comparison than the gateway 600 to a machine that can be bought but I don't have 10 grand to replace it with something that would be considered as high end as this one was back in the day. I have babied it not for 10 years but I have also gutted it a couple of times as well there is only so much you can do inside of a laptop though
I'm running win 10 now only because they stopped supporting win7.
Most will argue with me but in my opinion wondozzz stopped getting better with win2000 they are only more and more bloated I got used to Xpuke well enough and never really had any real issues with win7 never ran win8 but none of them seem to be any major improvement over win2000 excepting for possibly the security holes which were easy enough to plug with 3rd party programs as long as you kept an eye on things.