Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smartphone sanitizer - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,035 Times in 9,990 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 29, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,800 Times in 4,214 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Doesn't make sense to me, if you are the only one to handle your phone why would you need to sanitize it

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 29, 2022)

Thanks
    Dropped it in the toilet?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bill2 View Post
    Dropped it in the toilet?
    There is that, some people are ditzy enough to think they need to be on the phone while doing their business I suppose.

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just a load of rubbish. Why and how does this work?
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffle-Valve View Post
    Just a load of rubbish. Why and how does this work?
    Ultraviolet light is used to kill germs. Will that short an exposure do it? Couldn't tell you. If it's free, it might be worth trying.

Frank: you'd be surprised where folks use their phones these days. Or maybe not! I am one of those folks who reads in the bathroom. And my phone and tablet both have 500GB memory cards in them with as much of my library on them as I can fit. Hoping soon to get new phone and tablet that take 1TB cards, so I can get more on them. That gives me over 13,000 books of fiction, and quite a bit more than that of metalworking, electronics, computer, and other technical books. That said, one or both accompany me about everywhere. If I need to kill time, standing in a line or at the toilet, one or both are with me. My toilet is equipped with a bidet, so I don't normally have to get my hands dirty, and I still wash them after using the facilities, just because it's a habit too long practiced to give up.

Bill

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Ultraviolet light is used to kill germs. Will that short an exposure do it? Couldn't tell you. If it's free, it might be worth trying.

Frank: you'd be surprised where folks use their phones these days. Or maybe not! I am one of those folks who reads in the bathroom. And my phone and tablet both have 500GB memory cards in them with as much of my library on them as I can fit. Hoping soon to get new phone and tablet that take 1TB cards, so I can get more on them. That gives me over 13,000 books of fiction, and quite a bit more than that of metalworking, electronics, computer, and other technical books. That said, one or both accompany me about everywhere. If I need to kill time, standing in a line or at the toilet, one or both are with me. My toilet is equipped with a bidet, so I don't normally have to get my hands dirty, and I still wash them after using the facilities, just because it's a habit too long practiced to give up.

Bill
    For me a phone is almost the most useless tool I own with the exception of the built-in flashlight and camera, and it is a poor excuse for a flashlight, I probably haven't used it to access the internet half a dozen times in all the years I have owned one, unless i get a lot of spam calls or take a lot of pictures I put it on charge once a week whether it needs it or not. However it is a pretty good stress reliever when it rings while I am doing something I haul it out of the holster and toss it as far as I can throw it. Since it is a Sonim x8800 mil and Miners spec it is tough enough to bounce off a concrete wall as long as I don't try to emulate Nolan Ryan with the dang thing
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 31, 2022 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    For me a phone is almost the most useless tool I own with the exception of the built-in flashlight and camera, and it is a poor excuse for a flashlight, I probably haven't used it to access the internet half a dozen times in all the years I have owned one, unless i get a lot of spam calls or take a lot of pictures I put it on charge once a week whether it needs it or not. However it is a pretty good stress reliever when it rings while I am doing something I haul it out of the holster and toss it as far as I can throw it. Since it is a Sonim x8800 mil and Miners spec it is tough enough to bounce off a concrete wall as long as I don't try to emulate Nolan Ryan with the dang thing
    Got to admit that I refer to it as my electronic leash. But I do find some uses for it. I'm mathematically challenged, so the various calculators come in handy. I've got a scientific, feeds and speeds, and ohm's law calculators, for example. That and everything else it does is quite a bit smaller than my TI-86. I can be anywhere, and access any of the books on it, though the screen is easier to read on the tablet. Camera in the phone is great for before and after shots of stuff to be repaired/completed repairs. Tablet camera is not as good, but it's ok. The so-called flash is about useless, but I don't have to carry a separate camera. Wish I'd had something like this when I was in the USAF. I spent ten years as a photographer for them. Would have been a great deal easier to carry than the 4x5 Graphex XL I sometimes needed, and still better even for the Nikon F kit. I'm using a cheap Motorola MOTO G7 Supra. I'm hard on phones, so it doesn't pay to buy the more expensive ones. Though a ruggedized phone would be nice. Ruggedized cases are fairly cheap, though I'm not sure they'd survive throwing across the shop.

Bill

Bill

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Got to admit that I refer to it as my electronic leash. But I do find some uses for it. I'm mathematically challenged, so the various calculators come in handy. I've got a scientific, feeds and speeds, and ohm's law calculators, for example. That and everything else it does is quite a bit smaller than my TI-86. I can be anywhere, and access any of the books on it, though the screen is easier to read on the tablet. Camera in the phone is great for before and after shots of stuff to be repaired/completed repairs. Tablet camera is not as good, but it's ok. The so-called flash is about useless, but I don't have to carry a separate camera. Wish I'd had something like this when I was in the USAF. I spent ten years as a photographer for them. Would have been a great deal easier to carry than the 4x5 Graphex XL I sometimes needed, and still better even for the Nikon F kit. I'm using a cheap Motorola MOTO G7 Supra. I'm hard on phones, so it doesn't pay to buy the more expensive ones. Though a ruggedized phone would be nice. Ruggedized cases are fairly cheap, though I'm not sure they'd survive throwing across the shop.

Bill

Bill
    my phone is nearly 3/4" thick but it doesn't have any extra protective cases to fit over it that I am aware of my old galaxy S4Active had a tiple layered case made of rubber I even had a 2layered hardened glass screen on it everyone called it my Godzilla phone I managed to keep it alive for about 5 years by keeping a couple spare digitizers on hand it got to where I could change a screen out on it in less than 5 minutes but it finally developed internal issues so I folded it and bought a windows 10 phone good phone but too delicate for my liking even though it had features I found handy when the networks killed off the 3g that phone died and I had to find a replacement the X8800 seemed to fit the bill. It's on an Android OS not much different than the old Galaxy but even with the quirks of Android at least it's not Apple sauce. I refuse to knowingly own anything even remotely associated with Apple
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 31, 2022 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    my phone is nearly 3/4" thick but it doesn't have any extra protective cases to fit over it that I am aware of my old galaxy S4Active had a tiple layered case made of rubber I even had a 2layered hardened glass screen on it everyone called it my Godzilla phone I managed to keep it alive for about 5 years by keeping a couple spare digitizers on hand it got to where I could change a screen out on it in less than 5 minutes but it finally developed internal issues so I folded it and bought a windows 10 phone good phone but too delicate for my liking even though it had features I found handy when the networks killed off the 3g that phone died and I had to find a replacement the X8800 seemed to fit the bill. It's on an Android OS not much different than the old Galaxy but even with the quirks of Android at least it's not Apple sauce. I refuse to knowingly own anything even remotely associated with Apple
    Re: Apple products, you and me both, Brother! I've been fairly fond of Android machines for a lot of years now, and though they're not now and never have or will be perfect, I still prefer them to Windows products. Though I'm typing this on something like my 90th Windows computer. I have an old Celeron laptop with Windows, and two with Linux, and a couple of Netbooks, one of which just has a blank driver right now...

What I want is a modern version of CP/M-86, built to take advantage of all the features of the modern processors. I'm not smart enough to write it myself, so I'm just doomed to get along on other folks products. I've spent about 30 years becoming a MS guru, and another 10 giving up on it. Wish I'd gone to linux the first time I heard of it.

Bill

Thread Information