Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Steering link for CT electric truck

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Steering link for CT electric truck

Finally got around to repairing the steering link on the 1916 5 ton CT electric Truck
    The new link and the old bent and broken tube
    Steering  link for CT electric truck-img_20230715_150730ct.jpg
    I machined the bore on the ends of the sch 80 pipe but left them several thousands under sized, then heated them to nearly white hot and pressed the ends on
    Steering  link for CT electric truck-img_20230715_150737ct.jpg
    Steering  link for CT electric truck-img_20230715_150749ct.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 25, 2023), metric_taper (Jul 25, 2023), mr mikey (Jul 24, 2023), nova_robotics (Jul 24, 2023), Rocky71 (Jul 25, 2023), Scotty1 (Jul 25, 2023)

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Looks good to me

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mr mikey For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 24, 2023)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Nice restoration repair. Keeps it looking original. Interesting the Model T used a round ball end for swivel as well, must have been the method back then.

I was doing a similar repair to a 1965 Datsun Fairlady SPL310. The steering link between the left and right front wheels was broken by some idiot that put a chain around it to pull the car. This car is all SAE Imperial bolts and threads. I made a new one with left and right hand threads on each end. Single point threaded them on the lathe. It was 1/2" round bar, and I had a piece of stainless in my metal stock hoard.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Nice restoration repair. Keeps it looking original. Interesting the Model T used a round ball end for swivel as well, must have been the method back then.

I was doing a similar repair to a 1965 Datsun Fairlady SPL310. The steering link between the left and right front wheels was broken by some idiot that put a chain around it to pull the car. This car is all SAE Imperial bolts and threads. I made a new one with left and right hand threads on each end. Single point threaded them on the lathe. It was 1/2" round bar, and I had a piece of stainless in my metal stock hoard.
    The only way you would be able to tell it is not original is I used seamless sch80 instead of welded sch40, that and the fact that I did not need to braze a .010" shim sleeve around the stubs to make my pipe fit tight but after it is painted you would have to cut it apart to find those differences or know the factory weight of the assembly I will make 4 soft steel round head rivets to pin the ends on with but I need to make a rivet set die with the correct shape to buck them in place. There are other rivets I need to buy or make for other parts of the truck so this will be done at a later date.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information