Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Surface grinding experiment with Shopsmith

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Surface grinding experiment with Shopsmith

Surface grinding experiment with Shopsmith-img_0504.jpeg

I have a plate 9” square, 3/4” thick, rough, concave and perhaps to be cut into 3 parts, and then use it to make smoothing planes. I don’t know whether it is cast iron or steel. But I don’t fancy filing it flat. I saw on HMT a rig for an angle grinder. A very good idea! I could not produce an accurate rig like that and don’t have the materials, but thought of mounting a bench grinder on to my Shopsmith.Surface grinding experiment with Shopsmith-img_0502.jpeg
    Surface grinding experiment with Shopsmith-img_0503.jpeg
    This is in our workshop, which is really for repairing furniture for residents in need, so, being a commercial property, the grinder has to be fully guarded, per regulations. So an old salvaged steel toolbox, happily the right size for the grinder, had a slot cut, then mounted on a stand,as shown, which slides along the Shopsmith’s bars, and the headstock can be used to advance it, and lock it. I brought my compound table from home and mounted it on the Shopsmith’s table, and made a pair of bars to secure the plate.
    Surface grinding experiment with Shopsmith-img_0571.jpeg
    This shows the first traverse.
    After all that, it became rather tedious to continue for long. It’s not a priority. Also, only about 4” of the surface can be ground at a setting. It is apparent that the surface is not wholly free from blemishes. Probably the workholding needs set screws to lock onto the plate. Needing the bench for other jobs, I dismantled the Shopsmith and put the components away, as before. It can be put together again. Also, you may observe that the Shopsmith’s lower structure is missing. It’s mounted on a softwood base, which is very unsatisfactory, and has now been discarded in favour of high density fibreboard, which hopefully is fully flat.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Philip Davies; Nov 5, 2023 at 07:27 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

ductape (Nov 5, 2023), Manitoba Man (Nov 7, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    With some care and the use of a fairly good grinding wheel, there's no reason why this wouldn't work for the intended use of the plate.
    The process itself provides a spark test to determine the metal. Cast iron will make short, dark red sparks. Mild steel will make longer, yellow/white sparks. Another way to tell is to rub a sheet of white paper over the freshly ground area. Cast iron will leave graphite smudges on the paper. Steel will generally not.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ductape For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Nov 6, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Experimental Surface Grinder to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ductape View Post
    With some care and the use of a fairly good grinding wheel, there's no reason why this wouldn't work for the intended use of the plate.
    The process itself provides a spark test to determine the metal. Cast iron will make short, dark red sparks. Mild steel will make longer, yellow/white sparks. Another way to tell is to rub a sheet of white paper over the freshly ground area. Cast iron will leave graphite smudges on the paper. Steel will generally not.
    Thanks. I couldn’t see the sparks very easily, but I thought it was probably steel. I did not know about the paper test.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information