Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Swarf collection tool

Thanks

covert's Tools

Swarf collection tool

So here are my efforts for a swarf collection tool

22mm copper pipe and end cap , 18x18mm earth magnet, length of stainless m6 rod , and some plastic bits and bobs , works like a charm , only thing is some of the tiny metal filings jump over the rubber when you withdraw the magnet, needs revising maybe a mk2 version !

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to covert For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 11, 2016), kbalch (Jan 11, 2016), PJs (Jan 12, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks covert! We've added your Swarf Collection Tool to our Cleaning category, as well as to your builder page: covert's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Manitoba Man's Tools
    That is a nice design. I must be lazy or more worryingly, unimaginative as I use a magnet in an old plastic bread bag. When I am done I invert the bag and throw the contents away. The bag is used again. I think I would find your design more useful for me when using ti under a car to retrieve dropped parts. The standard telescope magnet ( to which I have taped an extra strong magnet ) tends to get attracted to all the wrong things on the way the target item. So, you see you gave me a good idea.

Bob

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    Looks like you are using grommets for the stop, Perhaps a large aluminium washer that will fit the grommet would work?
    I keep saying that I am going to build one of these, Another in a long list of projects!
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

Thanks

the.hogman's Tools
    I made one exactly like this several years ago. I simply turned a 2" washer of delrin and press-fitted it where you see the grommets. Used an old drawer knob for the handle. Saves on cuts and pokes when cleaning up around the lathe and mill!!! Also pretty darn handing picking up lost things.... Make one, you'll be very glad you did.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Manufacturer of Kat Eyz Banjo and Guitar Capos. Handmade and customized personally by me right here in the central part of the USA.

www.kateyzcapos.com

Thread Information