Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: T-handle for Allen wrenches

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

T-handle for Allen wrenches

T-handle Allen wrenches are comfortable to use and can exert a lot of torque. On the other hand, a full set takes up a lot of room in the tool box.

But trying to exert a lot of torque with a conventional L-handle wrench is difficult and uncomfortable. In my mind the solution was to make a single removable handle to convert an L-handle wrench into a T-type.

The first photo...

shows the handle. It's nothing more than a three inch length of 3/8" steel with a hole drilled through the center and a channel milled from one end to the central hole. I mostly use the smaller size wrenches so my handle is sized to fit wrenches 5/32 and smaller. (Larger wrenches would require a larger handle.) The hole is 3/16 and so is the width of the channel. Also shown is a piece of heavy gauge plastic tubing with a nominal 3/8 ID. This is used to secure the wrench in the handle and make the channel edges less irritating to the hand.

This photo...

shows how the wrench passes through the handle hole and the short arm of the L drops into the channel. The plastic retainer has been slipped partway onto the handle.

This photo...

shows the underside of the handle with the protruding wrench. The plastic sleeve has been slipped all the way on, retaining the short wrench arm in the channel. A notch in the plastic aligns the wrench and pins it against the side of the hole to keep the wrench orthogonal to the handle.

A side-by-side comparison...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Jan 6, 2024), Beserkleyboy (Oct 26, 2018), bigtrev8xl (Dec 24, 2018), Bobinwa (Jul 12, 2018), bobs409 (Jul 5, 2018), bruce.desertrat (Feb 11, 2024), Captainleeward (Feb 1, 2019), charles scozzari (Feb 11, 2024), CookieCrunch (Oct 27, 2018), dekeros (Oct 27, 2018), DIYer (Jul 5, 2018), emu roo (Nov 24, 2021), high-side (Jan 31, 2019), HobieDave (Mar 21, 2020), J.Pierce (Aug 19, 2022), jackhoying (Jul 9, 2018), Jeff Michel (Jul 5, 2018), Jon (Oct 5, 2018), MakeFix (Jul 9, 2018), Mr.Pete (Oct 18, 2019), natie123 (Jul 5, 2018), Neil Jensen (Oct 26, 2018), nova_robotics (Feb 11, 2024), oldcaptainrusty (Jul 6, 2018), olefella (Feb 11, 2024), papa bill2 (Feb 12, 2024), Paul Jones (Jul 6, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 4, 2018), Ralphxyz (Feb 11, 2024), rebuilder1954 (Feb 11, 2024), rlm98253 (Jul 5, 2018), rossbotics (Jul 4, 2018), Savage11 (Jul 5, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 5, 2018), Stevohdee (Jul 11, 2018), strob (Dec 23, 2018), threesixesinarow (Jul 5, 2018), Tiny (Jul 6, 2018), Tonyg (Oct 27, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 5, 2018), volodar (Jul 6, 2018), WinDancerKnives (Jul 9, 2018), zarembak (Jul 5, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Great idea Marv! I use Allen wrenches a lot and this will be a great addition to my toolbox.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Allen Wrench Handle to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    I agree! They do take up a lot of space and I'm SEARCHING for the best way to store them. (still haven't found it) The typical wall rack some come with are a pain when you go to put them back and have to fish thru the holes! Argh!!!

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post
    I agree! They do take up a lot of space and I'm SEARCHING for the best way to store them. (still haven't found it) The typical wall rack some come with are a pain when you go to put them back and have to fish thru the holes! Argh!!!
    I have to agree that those racks are an annoyance. You can reduce the (rack) size a bit by drilling more closely spaced holes in a block of wood but the interference of the handles still prevents a package as compact as that obtainable with the L-type wrenches. A healthy countersink on the holes in the rack will guide the wrench placement and make it easier to put them back in the rack.

For wall storage, a magnetic bar such as those given away by Harbor Freight works well and the induced magnetism in the wrenches can be a help when placing fasteners in difficult to reach locations.

I buy the cheap, plastic-handled T-type (as shown in the first photo), as a supply for dedicated wrenches left where they are used so they are seldom returned to the rack. My bench top wrenches, including the tiny jewelers' screwdriver types as small as 0.7 mm AF, are kept in wooden holders.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jul 5, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    I have a commercial version of this, came with a set of allen keys. Multiple sizes can be accommodated. Very handy but rarely used since I have several t-handle keys already.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    I have a commercial version of this, came with a set of allen keys. Multiple sizes can be accommodated. Very handy but rarely used since I have several t-handle keys already.
    Who makes the commercial version? I'd like to see it. My version was designed in the shower so I'm interested in the nuances provided by the professionals.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    It came with a set of allen keys I bought at a supermarket (lidl), the keys were cheap but superb quality steel. I'll try and remember to take a picture for you tomorrow.

Thanks

Imabass's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Who makes the commercial version? I'd like to see it. My version was designed in the shower so I'm interested in the nuances provided by the professionals.
    I too have a commercial version of this. Mine is a bulky plastic job that also holds the allen wrenches. I's have to search for it but I think it is in my motorcycle tool bag.
    Why buy it if you can build it.

Thanks
    This is brilliant!
    For years I've used a piece of tubing or a short piece of pipe to accomplish something like this. I was usually just generating enough torque to remove the faster. But this is more simple(?) simpler and straight forward, Remember the K.I.S.S. principal? (Keep It Simple, Stupid...) Well Marv sure isn't stupid, just a gr8 guy with something between his ears besides cobwebs.

Thread Information