Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: T-handle for Allen wrenches

Thanks

Savage11's Tools
    Simple yet genius, a must have in my tool box. Awesome homemade tool OP! Thanks for sharing!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Marv
    Very nice tool and the tube rap to hold the key in. The only thing maybe add a piece of the tubing on the naked side.
    Ha!Ha!
    Nelson

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

uv8452 (Feb 12, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Who makes the commercial version? I'd like to see it. My version was designed in the shower so I'm interested in the nuances provided by the professionals.
    Well Marv, I can direct you towards the concept. It's a plastic barrel about an inch in diameter with a variety of cross holes for hex keys, roughly 5/32 [?] thru 3/8. Each hole has a slot at a depth coinciding to hole size, not different than your design. A plastic ring slides over the L section of the wrench to contain it in the slot, again like your solution. They are sold through well known big box stores, especially one with orange prominent in their logo. The blue one might as well.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 6, 2018)

Thanks
    a simple mod to this would be to drill a 3/16 hole ,an inch deep in the end that is solid, and a hole 3/32 also on the solid end ,both holes would be offset in a lathe and drilled,this would help in hard to reach areas.and also make tube cover out of AL or SS for hard to remove ones,said tube could be stored on solid end, opposite plastic tube,or if your cramped for space and weight, just use only SS one.it can be made thin ,and have holes drilled to lighten it,as can solid handle.another thought, since the tube and operators hand are what keeps wrench in handle, is too NOT drill hole in center of handle and instead to cut slot deeper into handle,then put wrench into slot and use tube to hold it all together,all preasure pushing down ,would be on the handle..not the operaters hand or tube.
    Last edited by madokie; Jul 5, 2018 at 08:57 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to madokie For This Useful Post:

uv8452 (Feb 12, 2024)

Thanks
    I like to use the wrong tool for the job whenever I can. I slip a box end wrench over the short end as a "persuader" for leverage. I also like the round hole of a crescent wrench handle to motivate anything that will slip into it.

Hope I do not offend anyone.

Vic

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vic Lane For This Useful Post:

volodar (Oct 11, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    I wasn't going to post to this thread because after all, we are "homemade" tools. But, per a few posts and Marv's request, here are pics. These were purchased in the mid-80's. I searched for the company but no joy. Either end of the wrench fits into the handle and the spring-loaded, brass, toggle then snaps closed. Two sizes fit almost all my needs.
    T-handle for Allen wrenches-allen-1.jpgT-handle for Allen wrenches-allen-2.jpgT-handle for Allen wrenches-allen-3.jpg

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Jul 7, 2018), Paul Jones (Jul 6, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Lane View Post
    I like to use the wrong tool for the job whenever I can. I slip a box end wrench over the short end as a "persuader" for leverage. I also like the round hole of a crescent wrench handle to motivate anything that will slip into it.

Vic
    Not offensive to those who spend their own money on tools...I'll do certain equivalents of what you admit for that little 'extra'; as long as reasonable to not worsen a situation. If it occurs again [or potentially will] it's time to spend some $$.
    There are limits. For example, I'll buy plumbing tools off craigslist, ie pipe wrenches. But NOT if the handles are bent, where an unnamed horse slipped a cheater on a 18" or 24" inch to work on a too-tight or too-large fitting. I've got them from 6" to 48".
    Also have such an extensive inventory, I'm thinking of starting a rental service...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 6, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    When it comes to hex key (Allen wrenches) I have a tendency not to invest in the cheaper variety. That being said though I have coffee cans full of them that I have no idea why I accumulated. Those plastic handle "T"'s are usually good for a 1 time use if that(for me at least).
    I have several Folding sets of various brands and types.For some reason I find my self buying Elkind a lot Though by far nowhere near the highest quality keys.
    Using a box end as a cheater, yep do that far too often sometimes even clamp a pair of 10" vicegrips to the L for stubborn socket head or grub screws, almost always wind up having to break out the 3/8 drive hex key sockets even then a lot of times wind up twisting the hex off of them. Fortunately I have a few sets of them as well and some even have replaceable bits.
    As handy as those ball end keys are at times I find that they are only good for running up of removing an already loosened screw.
    I mistakenly bought a "T" handle set of ball end hex wrenches once they were really handy but as per usual my heavy handed use broke the balls off of most of them.
    The nice thing about Marv's idea is any L wrench can instantly become a "T" handle and all is not lost when 1 gets twisted like a pretzel
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 6, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Lane View Post

Vic
    Vic
    Not offended but I use some of the same tricks.
    Nelson

Thread Information