Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke

Well I really needed to make one of these. Not about to spend $300 to $$$ for the parts on line, I found the following in my shop:
    Aluminum
    Brass
    Lathe
    New tool bit for the lathe:

Lathe Tool Bit used for many operations on my Lightsaber
    Universal Insert Lathe Tool bit Holder....Get any angle on that tool bit.

Adam Savage makes a light Saber (found the source drawing on line) See next post for link

I designed mine so I could bore it out and install the electronic parts for sound and light instead of just making it in one
    piece for a prop replica. Dimensions should be quite accurate overall.

Ordered a sound board and some switches on the bay and made a set of Cad prints to build from based on online pics and dwgs. (Just a bit over dimensioned!)
    Also needed was a 3 watt led. They are supplied on a large aluminum heat sink but I modified it by removing the large heat sink and adding
    a (1/4" x 1/4") brass rod and soldered it to the base of the led in place of the aluminum heat sink. Heat shrink to insulate it. My version uses
    a 1/2" polycarbonate solid tube for the saber. Not the brightest method but quite simple and direct.

Source for sound board:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightsaber-...0AAOSwDkVaLGk8

I used a 3 cell AAA flashlight battery holder for the power. (used some E6000 glue to insulate any electrical connections.
    One other note not on the prints. I used a mylar sleve to insulate the parts from the shank and also heat shrinked a tube over the board.

So here are the pictures and prints in jpeg format:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-img_2746a.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-img_2747a.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-img_2748a.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-img_2749a.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-img_2741a.jpg  

Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-img_2745a.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-2rev_b.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-2rev_b2.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-2rev_b3.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-2rev_b4.jpg  

Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-2rev_b5.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-2rev_b6.jpg   Tool of the Jedi Master....Use the Lathe Luke-2rev_b7.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by jjr2001; Mar 2, 2021 at 03:23 PM.
    Back to the shop.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

FEM2008 (Mar 2, 2021), suther51 (Mar 3, 2021), thinkbackwards (Mar 2, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Link to Adam's build:

Adam Savage Builds A LightSaber

2000 Tool Plans
    Back to the shop.

Thanks
    Nice!

You might be able to get better brightness in the rod by roughing up the surface. The trick is to have uniform and fine texture (think frosted look). A light baking soda bead blast would probably be prefect, but fine emery cloth would also work fine. The rod ends should be flat and polished as much as possible. I would add a mirror on the far end to reflect back into the rod. It would have to be perpendicular to the rod. Test first on a scrap piece of the rod.

By the way, I have had good results using micromesh pads for polishing plastics. The light pink (I believe it is rated at 12000 grit) works well.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FEM2008 For This Useful Post:

suther51 (Mar 3, 2021)

Thread Information