Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unknown micrometer

Thanks

Unknown micrometer

Unknown micrometer-20150321_184443.jpg

Not sure that this is the right place to post this, my apologies in advance if I got it wrong.
    I have this micrometer which was part of my dad's tools when he died, it must be at least 80 years old and I have no clue what it would be used for.
    It was manufactured by Ambrose Shardlow in Sheffield. I have downloaded one of their tool catalogues (company closed many years ago) and can not find it, also done Google searches and spoken to many machinists with no joy.
    The company also manufactured aircraft engine parts during WW2.
    Hoping that some of our erudite members will know what it is for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unknown micrometer-20150321_184537.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I can offer two guesses...

Used to measure projection of some feature from the curved surface of a structure

or

The radius of curvature can be calculated from the height (sagitta) of an arc above a known chord; see...

How to solve circular segments

Purely guesses. I've never seen or used one as shown in the photo.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 28, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanks Marv, I had similar guesses and wondered if it was more of an in-house unit to Ambrose Shardlow for measurement on crankshaft journals.

Thanks
    I have never seen one like that either, but I would second the thought that is was some custom measuring tool used for a some task very specific to the place that your dad worked.

There was an old gent around here that had a small used tool shop as his sort of semi-retirement job. He previously had been an instrument maker that sold and repaired measuring tools. He told me that at one time a pretty significant part of his business was making custom measuring tools for the GE jet engine plant in Lynn Massachusetts when they were in their heyday. He had some pictures of various fixtures and jigs he had made for them, some of them quite complex and interesting. Most of that business went away when CMM's and the like came into play. Great old guy, full of stories. I miss him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 28, 2021)

Thanks
    A key-way or recess depth measuring tool for a specific diameter shaft? Looking at the size of knurled knob on the attachment it would appear to have been made interchangeable, rather than a single purpose made tool.
    A late thought! A specific boring bar tool setter. I knew I had seen one before! :-)
    Last edited by Isambard; Apr 28, 2021 at 07:17 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isambard For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    If you zero the micrometer, where does the anvil sit on the hole? Is the knurled screw (large one) to adjust the height of that adapter piece that is of the working end? How about that small knurled screw, does that allow the reading line to move? I probably am using the wrong nomenclature to describe the parts of a micrometer.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The retired machine shop teacher named Lyle Peterson (Tubalcain on utube) would probably know. Send him a picture. His email address is pete22@mchsi.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rbutlerr For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Marv and metric_taper have good justifications, especially what position the spindle tip is from the radius at zero. My question is the tip itself, is it flat (conventional), reduced diameter, or pointed?
    Another detail about the clamp-screws; appear to allow zero anywhere. That makes possibility recording difference (instead direct measurement), compared to a standard; or vice-versa of course.
    No doubt micrometer head is Shardlow, but foot was generated as specific tooling, in manner described post 4 by clavius. If was commercial, high likelihood to be finished satin chrome as the thimble and body.

Next page post 13 Tonyg reports
    "Hi ,
    The tip is flat and it does allow it to zero anywhere."

Quite conclusive factor there; it's a comparative instrument, not absolute. Could set any kind of plunger etc, if maintaining linear axis to it.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 29, 2021 at 04:30 PM. Reason: update, but no film at 11:00........
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 29, 2021), Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Thanks
    As a guess I would say it was used to measure the depth of key ways or splines on a given production part as the shaft size would have to constant looking at the base of the mic,depending on the shape of the anvil tip. Interesting

15. The Following User Says Thank You to robhc88 For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Thanks
    I recon your right on the money as a boring bar depth setting tool,the only trouble is you would have to read it from the back of the bar due to the constant radius

17. The Following User Says Thank You to robhc88 For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 29, 2021)

Thread Information