Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Use an impact to remove angle grinder nuts

Supporting Member projectswithrich's Avatar
    Thanks

projectswithrich's Tools
    Moby Duck, That is a very smart idea about the concrete nails. That is something readily available that should work better. I did a little research and it sounds like they have 5 to 7 times the carbon content for added strength. I'm sure they would weld just fine and the pins only need to engage the nut 3/16 so there wouldn't be much grinding to get a larger nail to fit.
    You're right about the magnets. I actually have a Milwaukee impact bit holder and the magnet inside that shattered after a couple uses.
    On these the gears are steel so they are pretty strong. Usually I don't need to even lock the rotating mechanism before getting the nut off but if you did, it would reduce most if not the majority of forces being transferred into them.
    I really appreciate your comment.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    My Youtube Channel:
    Projects with Rich - YouTube

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by katy View Post
    Thanks, but no thanks, it could be OK for some people. Personally I could change a lot of disks in the time it would take to get the impact, an air hose and the special tool out.
    FWIW, for convenience, I have several grinders w/different disks on them.
    Precisely. I couldn't agree more. Powered tools are great when you need them, such as the angle grinder itself but there seems to be an unstoppable trend towards the idea that every tool has to be powered. I often grab a hacksaw or file to do simple jobs, that others would take to a power saw or linisher, because it is quicker overall.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Precisely. I couldn't agree more. Powered tools are great when you need them, such as the angle grinder itself but there seems to be an unstoppable trend towards the idea that every tool has to be powered. I often grab a hacksaw or file to do simple jobs, that others would take to a power saw or linisher, because it is quicker overall.
    I totally agree, while someone is getting the power tool, I had the spanner close at hand, have switched disks, and back at work. The tool DOES have its place. I have one old angle grinder that the spindle lock has fallen out, I can see using it for that.

Everyone has their own work methods. If it works for them go for it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information