Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using Paraffin On a Bandsaw

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Using Paraffin On a Bandsaw

Paraffin makes a nice lubricant for my bandsaw blade, plus it is almost free. I’ve used the same wax for over 15 years.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/ParaffinLub.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

AKpapa (Apr 27, 2020), allenz (Mar 26, 2024), Andyt (Apr 21, 2020), baja (Apr 27, 2020), benkeller3 (Apr 27, 2020), bobs409 (Apr 20, 2020), Carnel (Apr 21, 2020), Corm (Oct 24, 2023), JoeH (Apr 21, 2020), Jon (Apr 23, 2020), Karl_H (Apr 20, 2020), n9dug (Apr 20, 2020), nova_robotics (Jan 11, 2022), Paul Jones (Apr 20, 2020), Ralphxyz (Mar 21, 2024), rebuilder1954 (Apr 20, 2020), rlm98253 (Apr 20, 2020), Rustic Woodcrafter (Apr 26, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 20, 2020), Sleykin (May 13, 2020), Tonyg (Apr 20, 2020), Tule (Apr 21, 2020), will52100 (Apr 20, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Bandsaw Lubrication Fixture to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    Neat idea. I've also used the cutting wax tubes for years. But I'm not as creative as you.

I just sort of brush the end of the stick against the teeth of the blade while running so that it kinda rakes off the end of the stick. That picks up the wax on the teeth, some of which then deposits at the leading edge of the cut. This produces an accumulation forming just ahead of the blade, and as it progresses, the wax is drug into the cut a bit at a time providing lubricated blade for the rest of the cut. On longer cuts, I repeat the process.

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    I first started using a block of paraffin on my hand hacksaw blades - the heat in the blade was enough to melt the wax into a fine film.
    Does your bandsaw blade get that hot?

Karl

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    Does your bandsaw blade get that hot?

Karl
    Yes. It will melt the wax fairly quickly once into the cut a bit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Baddog For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Apr 21, 2020)

Thanks
    Love it! Especially your method of recycling bits of candle wax with solar power. I also like the wax idea because it seems it would be less of a mess than oil. Thanks again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeH For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Apr 21, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hi Rick and the other commenters, as I haven’t tried this I have a couple of questions: does the wax stay in contact with the blade during the entire cut and if so how.
    How does the blade get lubricated on the other side. And most importantly what difference have you noticed it makes to your cuts.
    I have a box full of wax so I’m keen to try this. Thanks Stuart.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounga View Post
    Hi Rick and the other commenters, as I haven’t tried this I have a couple of questions: does the wax stay in contact with the blade during the entire cut and if so how.
    How does the blade get lubricated on the other side. And most importantly what difference have you noticed it makes to your cuts.
    I have a box full of wax so I’m keen to try this. Thanks Stuart.
    As long as the block of paraffin is at least as tall as the stock, the blade will receive a continuous coating. The teeth cut the paraffin which is dragged into the cut and, somehow, does coat both sides of the blade. Hopefully, someone else has more understanding.

I found a discussion on this subject at https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...andsaw.706083/.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    This is a great idea for woodcutting but I am not sure that this concept is a good idea when cutting metal. Metal cutting bandsaws should ideally have “coolant” not “lubricant”. Most commercial cutting fluids do both. Bandsaws need lots of coolant flowing over the blade to take away the heat being generated, and preserve the temper of the blade.

Thanks
    Not wanting to argue, but I've cut a lot of metal on my bandsaw without coolant or lube and my bimetal blades last a long time. Granted I am not cutting with it 8 hours a day. I did use coolant when I had quite a bit of 1"x 6" hot rolled steel to cut but most of the time my work deals with smaller sizes.
    I've never found my blade to get anywhere near hot enough to affect temper. I often check the blade after a cut and it is usually well within the easy to touch and hold range.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeH For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Apr 27, 2020), rgsparber (Apr 28, 2020), Sleykin (Jan 8, 2022)

Thread Information