Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Reverse spot face tool

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Reverse spot face tool

Hi All
    Two casting I am currently working on (Trunk Guides for Foden steam wagon) need some spot faces so the nuts can clamp the casting up square and flat to the cylinder block. But it is impossible to use a standard counter bore or slot drill etc. So I decided to make two reverse spot face tools. One 3/8” and the other 1/4” diameter. The tools would be mounted to a pilot tool 3/16” and 1/8” diameter respectively. Yes these can be purchased but it isn’t a tool I could see myself using that often so decided to make them.

The counter bore was made from 10mm diameter silver steel and turned down to the correct diameter once the machining of the cutting edges were completed.

Initially the first counter bore I made didn’t work as I forgot the pilot need to drive the tool and I made the hole go all the way through. So the next was made with a flat bottom hole so once the top was machined the pilot tool would lock in place like a cam. The counter bore cutting edges were machined and then transferred to the tool and cutter grinder to put the cutting angle on each edge. Then turned to correct diameter as previously mentioned.

The counter bore cutter was then machined down on the mill to the flat bottom hole so it broke through and left 2mm high spigot to locate on the pilot shaft.

Both pilot shafts were machined from mild steel and the counter bore cutters were heat treated.

The photos below will hopefully help make this all a bit clearer.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7867.jpegOne of the pilot shafts machined with a 2mm slot at 45 degrees.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7875.jpegCutting edges machined.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7878.jpegClearance angle ground on bottom edge.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7880.jpegBoth counter bores ready for milling operation.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7882.jpegHeat treated ready to use

Reverse spot face tool-img_7883.jpegTest fit of tool in casting.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7887.jpegCasting clamped to drill table with reverse counter bore depth set with block.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7886.jpegAs the cutter is working in the opposite direction the block fits under the stop.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7888.jpegFirst spot faces completed (3/8”diameter).

Reverse spot face tool-img_7891.jpegCasting in position on cylinder block.

Reverse spot face tool-img_7870.jpeg Reverse spot face tool-img_7871.jpegThis was the first one I a made and had to weld so I could lock to the pilot but hopefully shows how the cutter locks to the pilot shaft.

Thank you for taking the time to view
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 24, 2023), benkeller3 (Oct 27, 2023), Christophe Mineau (Oct 24, 2023), desbromilow (Oct 23, 2023), fergiomaria (Oct 28, 2023), Inner (Oct 23, 2023), Jon (Oct 23, 2023), jrouche (Oct 24, 2023), Metallurg33 (Oct 23, 2023), mklotz (Oct 22, 2023), mr mikey (Oct 23, 2023), nova_robotics (Oct 23, 2023), rebuilder1954 (Oct 23, 2023), tonyfoale (Oct 24, 2023), Tule (Oct 28, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Reverse Spot Face Tool to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts
    Congratulations thehomeengineer - your Reverse Spot Face Tools are the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This was a difficult week to win, with some excellent homemade tools posted. Your scale Foden Steam Wagon has yielded multiple winning tools, and this is yet another example.

Some more good builds from this week:

DTI Holder by Mook
    Lathe Bump Tool by Improvised DIY
    Internal Thread Cutting Method by Frank S
    Non Spill Oil Can by Improvised DIY
    Clothes Dryer Alarm by rgsparber
    Motorcycle Engine Tools by th62
    Rust Removal Tool by Andrii Pysarenko
    Mini Clamp by orioncons36
    Square by Philip Davies

thehomeengineer - you'll be receiving a $100 prize, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and prize choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 13th Homemade Tool of the Week. Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Oct 28, 2023)

Thread Information