Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    Single Tandem? Bit of a confusing misnomer there?

I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembers you can have a trailer with single axle , double axle, triple axle, etc, each with a single tire or dual tires. So that would be single single, single tandem, single triple, dual single, dual tandem, or dual triple.

That thinking led me to investigate axle configurations, that exposed this study which I found interesting;

Effect of Heavy Multiple Axle Trucks on Flexible Pavement Damage Using In-Service Pavement Performance Data
    Hassan K. Salama1; Karim Chatti2; and Richard W. Lyles, P.E.3
    Abstract: Truck axle configurations and weights have changed significantly since the AASHO road study was conducted in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Emerging concerns about the effects of new axle configurations on pavement damage, which is unaccounted for in the AASHTO procedure, have prompted several researchers to investigate the impacts of different axle and truck configurations on pavement performance. However, there is still a need to strengthen the mechanistic findings using field data. In this paper, actual in-service traffic and pavement performance data for flexible pavements in the state of Michigan are considered. Monitored truck traffic data for different truck configurations are used to identify their relative damaging effects on flexible pavements in terms of cracking, rutting, and roughness. The analysis included simple, multiple, and stepwise regression. The results indicated that trucks with multiple axles tridem or more appear to produce more rutting damage than those with only single and tandem axles. On the other hand, trucks with single and tandem axles tend to cause more cracking. Pavement roughness results did not show enough evidence to draw a firm conclusion.

http://www.nlcpr.com/DamageMultipleAxle.pdf

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I was wondering what a blowing engine is... found this;

National Museum of Industrial History

Where does the blast for blast furnaces come from? For many furnaces, the blast of air was supplied by “blowing engines.” This presentation will describe how massive engines once ran around the clock to pump the requisite two tons of air required for every ton of iron produced. We will trace the evolution of air pumping devices associated with blast furnaces and do a deep dive into the “Gas Blowing Engine House” in Bethlehem, Pa, which is the largest surviving facility of its type in the world.

Found this video. Pretty long to watch but you can fast forward to get an good idea.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by hemmjo; May 24, 2021 at 05:32 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (May 24, 2021), Toolmaker51 (May 26, 2021)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Hello, you've been down the rabbit hole today! Good work, mate. I dismissed at first viewing, thinking, 'nah, this is something for the metal guys...', but your digging has brought to the interest of this wood guy...good work...cheers
    Jim in South Coast NSW, AUS

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    That must be Company Brass in the photo. Most if not all wearing suits & ties.

Thanks
    Single cylinder engine with the compressor mounted in tandem on the same piston rod.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Not really, if you understood older large engines. It was a single rod on one side of crank with inline double acting cylinders (inline - tandem) . Some tandem steam engines were compound, meaning a smaller primary high pressure cylinder and secondary larger diameter cylinder in line which used the lower pressure exhaust steam from the primary cylinder.

At the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI, they have one of Ford's 9 "gasteam" engines which he had built to power all the machinery on 250 volts DC at the Highland Park Model T factory. Ford moved it there and more or less built the museum around it. I'd love to have seen the boiler room that fed those engines.

Ford and Thomas Edison were both big promoter of DC in the early years, but fortunately George Armstrong and Nicola Tesla's alternating current won out.

Those huge engines had steam cylinders on one side of the flywheel (which was a huge generator) one 36 inch diameter (primary high pressure) cylinder then, tandem on the same rod a secondary low pressure cylinder of 72 inches diameter both, of course the same stroke of 72 inches. On the other side they had two double acting 42 inch cylinders in tandem running on coal gas. Once again, 72 inch stroke. The main inline rods were about a foot in diameter past the cross head. They ran on huge sliding shoes between cylinders and at the far end of the cylinders to support the huge weight of the pistons.
    Good videos of it are at:

They claimed the coal gas cylinders were harder to govern so they used the steam side for control. Each engine/generator station was rated 250 volts at, if I remember correctly, 4 megawatts a total power rating of about 6000 horsepower each. My mind might be incorrect on some of the numbers. The Henry Ford is worth a visit just for the steam engines on display. Plan on spending a week there if you're interested in machinery, etc.

I don't understand everything I know about things, grin.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I didn't mean to send the photo of the video. I meant to just put the URLs/

Good videos of it are at:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    In response to post 2211 of hemmjo and roadway tests. There are rather distinct highway signs a little west of Ottawa, IL mentioning same tests, at least in one locale. Our highway system was influenced upon General Eisenhower first hand, seeing concept in post war Germany. His state of Kansas commemorates him too, certain highways, interchanges and so on.
    Our current administration is so uninformed; no clue what infrastructure really means.
    I'm no kind of truck driver, yet clock untold miles over eastern Midwest retrieving equipment far away as Michigan, Pennsylvania, Tennessee with little apprehension and lots of appreciation. One habit of every trip includes a little Johnny Cash; [of course; it's me after all] "I've Been Everywhere".
    Who cares, 'Everywhere' is subjective, taking it to be 'everywhere worth going'. This month alone, ~3200 miles, some looking for a spot hidden west of Dallas/ Fort Worth. Not the one south of, lol.......
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    hmm I west of those places...oops east...well west if you keep going across the pond through okinawa back across the pond and keep going till you hit daytonaor possiably at augstine.. then go west a bit more..then south to the emerald coast...just like the gps will take you, the long way around. I too have lots of miles on the interstates. since the early 60's. now days if im not in a hurry or a good reason to take them I take the back roads so I dont miss america as it once was....of coarse I may be flying to dallas in a few weeks...or austin.not sure yet if when or where...I would drive but not a lot of time to do so....if I take my wife.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm widowed now, but she loved those drives too. Always marveling at sheer expanse, her being Austrian born.
    Not much has changed, continuing to not miss America.
    If I keep on, might catch Miss America too! Even little towns have contenders!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (May 26, 2021)

Thread Information