Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: A vise can do more

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

A vise can do more

Angle lock and other types of vises, such as those with gibs, guide and allow moving jaw to tighten securely. Make use of that feature, utilize it and occasionally save building fixtures. This is reusable and dependable.

A vise can do more-clamping-sector.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Aug 6, 2016), rendoman (Aug 7, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    TM 51 this tool is yet another fine example of the often times simplistic approach to HMT's yielding un-imagined use results prior to their addition to ones tool inventory.
    I have used similar shaped pieces with a single protruding tang extending a ways out from the flat face which would engage a dibbit or indention to hold extremely odd shaped parts when using my 4 jaw. Many times no matter which way you try to position the part you just cannot get that 4th jaw to engage in a secure position these little cord segments can be used where the grip surface is just too accute to successfully clamp the part the tang will provide a bi-angular clamping forceA vise can do more-clamp-weddgie.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 5, 2016 at 09:41 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Aug 6, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Aug 6, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Excellent Frank S! The simple projection engages corner of part; a vast improvement. Great use of mechanics/ physics to rectify an issue. Mine will 'spit' off steeper angles, without some material to increase friction. Mechanical engagement beats coincidental friction every time.
    Just used it to machine 'horns' of press stand I hinted at, still not quite ready to post. I sectioned rectangular tubing for a tapered profile for clearance, welded top and bottom back together.
    Also reporting on spectacular occurrence during the bandsaw sectioning process. Amazing amount of tension in that tube, spread open like petals when sawn across sides diagonally. Of course, demonstrates residual force, stored energy, from rolling process used to form tubing from flat sheet.

Proves again what is going on in 'our' off topic thread. Experience is priceless. Those who discount it, haven't invested their time to learn; so the value isn't appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Aug 6, 2016)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    TM 51 if you will note there are also holes drilled and slotted cross angular in the center this adds to the versatility of the cord segment clamp with the use trunion toggles or just bolting it in place on a mill table or it might come in handy
    Adding semi circular indention's to the flat face increases the holding possibilities on misshapen parts A vise can do more-clamp-weddgie-2.jpg

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yes, serrations direct x-amount of force to reduced area increasing bite. Cross hole is good idea, still blind to the feature of perpendicular slot, maybe to clear an ear-like projection a casting may have?
    Frank replied it makes it a hold-down with milling clamps, makes sense. Wring a project for multiple usage, why not?

and then if someone asks, respond "...got more tricks than a monkey in a mile of grapevine".
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 6, 2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: little update
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The slot allows the clamp to be used on a mill table making this a hold down clamp as well

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Toolmaker51! We've added your Mill Vise Clamping Aid to our Workholding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Toolmaker51's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    TM51 and FrankS. It's crazy how just as I'm contemplating how in the hell I'm going to hold a tapered arm like what is in the original drawing by TM51, here's the solution. I never would have thought of this, thanks guys.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 7, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    TM51 and FrankS. It's crazy how just as I'm contemplating how in the hell I'm going to hold a tapered arm like what is in the original drawing by TM51, here's the solution. I never would have thought of this, thanks guys.
    I'd add knowing you have a bandsaw, heavy wall pipe works too. Might need to weld a brace to control spreading, but the chord ends make good teeth.

Son of a gun; you can't imagine how pleased this makes me C-Bag! Every time I hear a mandolin...even a banjo.........I write cause Thanks link only works once.
    YOU ARE x10
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Another simple tip to clamping conical shaped parts in a vice, be it a band saw a drill press or a mill, these puppies are a real bear to hold. My solution is I find a humble thick washer with the same outside diameter as the largest diameter of the part in question, then bore the center to fit over the part so as to have 2 supports then I could drill mill or saw where needed.
    If the part was short I sometimes add a stop block behind the part to prevent it slipping backwards.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 7, 2016 at 05:14 PM.

Thread Information