Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yacht burns then sinks off the coast of Sardinia - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    This, if nothing else is a salutary note about fiberglass. I used to build boats, one I built for myself was 60 ft long and weighed 50 tons in steel, the engine room was amidships with submarine door and could be sealed. under those circumstances, fires self extinguish. The galley was on deck (deckhouse) with a steel floor so the worst thing that could happen was to lose the wheelhouse. 5 water tight compartments in the hull, plus double bottom (water, diesel and cooling tanks).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    My Uniflite was built with fire retardant resins...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    This, if nothing else is a salutary note about fiberglass.
    -Wishful thinking? "Hull: Steel. Superstructure: Aluminium"
    Check this: https://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/lady-mm

One who do a 1 min search could also find that the bridge of this apparently very flammable vessel
    was afire already in Nice (France) end of Feb 2012:

Yacht burns then sinks off the coast of Sardinia - GIF-360-afire.jpg

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yach...n-port-of-nice

It was named "360°" from 2009-2017/18, but also "SonKa", "April Fool II", and "April Fool", those changes didn't help, either...
    A search for any yacht named "Complete Loss", "Total Deprecitation" or "Claims Waived" returns 0 hits, tho.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I've always heard that renaming any vessel was not a good idea unless it had been dry docked, stripped to the hull and rebuilt
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I heard there was a superstition renaming ships. the SS Great Eastern rings a bell. (pun intended) Formely the Leviathan

Quote "Brunel made outstanding contributions to marine engineering with his three ships, the Great Western (1837), Great Britain (1843), and Great Eastern (originally called Leviathan; 1858), each the largest in the world at its date of launching."
    Ref.
    https://www.britannica.com/biography...unel#ref214058

https://seeksghosts.blogspot.com/201...t-eastern.html

https://www.discoverboating.com/reso...ming-your-boat

So you see that yaught was screwed (another pun intended)

Also RMS Titanic although not renamed that we know of (unless it was actually swapped with the Olympic) sufferd a much worse state by angering the gods. Its name Titanic - Titan being the great god. suggested that the vessel was a god or greater than god and was put to the test.

at least they all had a crew unlike the Mary Celeste

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ste-174488104/

Being on a small island in the atlantic, you sort of get a feel for such things. If all is well and good, some bugger ties a lamp onto a donkeys tail on the cliff tops and tricks vessels into running aground. Tricky stuff the sea.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I guess a good moto for this yacht story is, dont let the rich play with matches.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Or the very rich. The Royal Navy found out the hard way in they're warships during the Falklands war that aluminium super structures when they burn, burn very hot and are almost impossible to extinguish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 14, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Old Kodger, you are so right.
    I watched the 911 documentary last night regarding the so called controlled explosions which brought down the towers.
    Its taken years for the safety board to finally accept that the burning aluminium from the aircraft was the direct cause of heat getting to the buildings super structure and causing it to collapse that floor the result of which was a concertina effect where the weight of the floors above collapse the one below - structurally simulated and analysed and proven that the concertina affect was certainly why the towers fell so quickly - this they agreed on.
    The Royal Navy certainly stopped using one construction material with immediate effect from its ships following the Falklands. Formica/plastic laminates. This stuff got hot and exploded into jagged pieces like glass, numerous injuries were reported caused by this that it very quickly disappeared. It could have been it fragmented when objects hit it, like long grey pointy tube with fins on it full of big bang stuff. In any case the stuff is bloody lethal.

Reading back over this post that yacht was doomed from the start. I followed a couple of the links regarding it being on fire before. Not only that but similar craft had suffered fires – in the wheel house. The boat builder is taking the pee. They clearly have an issue with the boats wiring of something. It’s a good job poor folks like us have more sense than to buy one. What goes around comes around as they say. They might be good footballers, bankers or actors but if I were them id stick to what they know, the sea isn’t for the uneducated.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Sep 14, 2020 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    The Great eastern is a good starting point to mention the three quarter screw, now that the navy has been mentioned.
    Sir Francis Petit smith who invented the ships propeller was laughed at by the admiralty who believed that his invention would never be superior or replace the paddles on its paddle steamers

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Francis_Pettit_Smith

A similar response that John Harrison received from the admiralty when he invented the marine time piece

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explo...0aAvisEALw_wcB

It makes me laugh when they build a new ship like the Queen Elizabeth for example and say its state of the art. (state of the Ark perhaps). There will be equipment which has been installed because it was cheaper than newer technology - its not a no holds barred project with a blank cheque. One toy it may have is phased array radar, man that stuff is impressive. You can track and engage up to 100 targets all at the same time, gone are the old single sweep PPI radar screens. Incidentally the new lcd radar screen are able to display a sweep, some of the operators preferred seeing the line sweep around the display so it was put back in even though it serves no purpose. I believe they have done the same on the Airbus aircraft.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information