Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles

I am rebuilding the entire front end of a GMC 2500 HD 4x4
    To replace the lower ball joints I needed some special tools and had to make a unique set up to press them out
    I started out by cutting the coupling from a piece of 2 3/8" oil field tubing
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_155116bjt.jpg
    Then machined the threads out of 1 end to fit over the flange of the ball joint.
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_162444bjt.jpg
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_162450bjt.jpg
    Then machined the Id of the tubing stub to fit over the od rubber boot this is also the same diameter as the boss that presses into the control arm
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_162540bjt.jpg
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_162555bjt.jpg
    Next comes the set up. since I have a metal break punch permanently mounted to my shop press I suspended the bottom die under the punch with rubber tarp straps so I would have a flat pressing surface
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_180204bjt.jpg
    After getting everything aligned up and ready to press the ball joint out
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_180451bjt.jpg
    I noticed that the arm did not have a flat surface around half of the ball joint flange
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_180502bjt.jpg
    I needed a way to keep the arm from cocking up on one side to do this I used my 16" heavy duty C clamp to hold it down
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_181435njts.jpg
    Maxed out the 8 ton hydraulic jack added just a little heat and this is the position everything wound up when the ball joint slipped out of the control arm
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_181931bjts.jpg
    pressing the new joint in place only required the tool and a simple 1/2" cylindrical spacer under the arm
    Ball joint removal and install tool for GM vehicles-img_20230501_182711bji.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (May 5, 2023), Jon (May 1, 2023), metric_taper (May 2, 2023), mr mikey (May 3, 2023), Scotty1 (May 2, 2023), sossol (May 2, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Ball Joint Removal and Installation Tool to our Suspension category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    So what did the factory service manual have for tooling to do this 'simple' press job?
    Nice to see quick fixture builds to get it done.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    So what did the factory service manual have for tooling to do this 'simple' press job?
    Nice to see quick fixture builds to get it done.
    I have no Idea I haven't opened a service manual for anything in years to look at anything other than adjustment or torque specs or electrical circuitry.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have no Idea I haven't opened a service manual for anything in years to look at anything other than adjustment or torque specs or electrical circuitry.
    30 years ago, the owners manuals had the order form for the service manuals, and they were affordable. Now they want crazy money for them.
    These new vehicles were not designed to be serviced. The best information I've found is on youtube where multiple videos can be found for simple techniques to access and change out stuff that should have been simple. Transverse engines are crammed into the front, and no space left to service.

I have a 1957 Chevy 3/4ton truck, everything is serviceable on it with little effort. My first car was a 1962 Pontiac, also easy, but with air con, and power steering, a little more effort. The only thing that needed improvement in those was electronic points. Best thing they ever put in engines.

As for modern autos, I will never buy American designed, Detroit has no clue as to making things serviceable. I see this as kids that get engineering degrees never worked on things growing up. It's because we need mega more engineers, and only a few have the natural born talent. And clearly serviceability is not a design requirement. Only need to slap them together fast. That and Detroit designs for a 7year/70Kmile auto life span. That they are good at designing into them.

You seem to have a fleet of older diesel trucks, and probably don't run into compact engine compartments. You also luck out not having salt on the winter roads working to destroy every metal to metal joint.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    30 years ago, the owners manuals had the order form for the service manuals, and they were affordable. Now they want crazy money for them.
    These new vehicles were not designed to be serviced. The best information I've found is on youtube where multiple videos can be found for simple techniques to access and change out stuff that should have been simple. Transverse engines are crammed into the front, and no space left to service.

I have a 1957 Chevy 3/4ton truck, everything is serviceable on it with little effort. My first car was a 1962 Pontiac, also easy, but with air con, and power steering, a little more effort. The only thing that needed improvement in those was electronic points. Best thing they ever put in engines.

As for modern autos, I will never buy American designed, Detroit has no clue as to making things serviceable. I see this as kids that get engineering degrees never worked on things growing up. It's because we need mega more engineers, and only a few have the natural born talent. And clearly serviceability is not a design requirement. Only need to slap them together fast. That and Detroit designs for a 7year/70Kmile auto life span. That they are good at designing into them.

You seem to have a fleet of older diesel trucks, and probably don't run into compact engine compartments. You also luck out not having salt on the winter roads working to destroy every metal to metal joint.
    I grew up on a farm, my dad was a Mechanic I had been helping him work on the farm tractors and equipment and vehicles of all sizes just about from the time I was old enough to walk Went to work at a blacksmith shop when I was 11. When I joined the army at 17 my test scores were nearly off the charts they told me, I got to chose my primary MOS so I chose mechanic wheeled and track. in one of our first few days in that school the training instructor held up a tool and asked if anyone knew what it was. I popped of and told him it was a poor excuse for a torque wrench that a 24" break over bar and a 50 lb fish scale had about as much accuracy if not more so. I think it pissed him off when I told him that a real mechanic could tell how much to torque a bolt within reason by feel as long as the bolt threads were clean and dry then finish off with a torque wrench that had a dial to indicate the torque.
    I try to stay away from having to work on cars that don't have enough room under the hood for a cat to crawl in If a cat can't get into a space My hands won't fit either I hate having to remove half a vehicle's front end just to change the spark plugs. My first 2 years of college was aimed towards a degree in automotive engineering but I quickly discovered that, that would have been a dead end limited field because even in the early 70's cars were becoming stupidly designed I switched towards mechanical then towards structural and civil finally decided to recreate myself went full autodidactic since none of the academia, seemed to cover everything.

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Good stuff, I worked in dealerships for 39 years and you always run into issues like this when they do not have the right tool to press things in and out without damaging the part or yourself. Our machine shop would make a few tools but in a bind I had two 5 gal. pails of old bearing races and 90% of the time I could find one that would work perfect and get the job done. I would laugh to myself when a boss would tell me to throw that junk out. A few days later he ask what do you use to press out an old bearing or bushing. LOL. Oh and my first car was a 1949 Desoto. Wish I still had it.
    Last edited by mr mikey; May 3, 2023 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mr mikey View Post
    Good stuff, I worked in dealerships for 39 years and you always run into issues like this when they do not have the right tool to press things in and out without damaging the part or yourself. Our machine shop would make a few tools but in a bind I had two 5 gal. pails of old bearing races and 90% of the time I could find one that would work perfect and get the job done. I would laugh to myself when a boss would tell me to throw that junk out. A few days later he ask what do you use to press out an old bearing or bushing. LOL. Oh and my first car was a 1949 Desoto. Wish I still had it.
    Yep, I know the feeling. I have a 6ft long drawer in the bottom of my Snap-on tool cabinet that is chock full of ground down bearing races either for the ID and the OD depending on which I need and, numerous worn input shafts for clutch alignment tools

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (May 5, 2023)

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Yep, when I retired I gave away all my input shafts. No more clutches for me. Although my son has a mustang that he plans on rebuilding the trans and install a clutch this summer. I know what's going to happen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mr mikey For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 5, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    These days when you purchase a clutch kit, it comes with a plastic input shaft alignment tool...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 5, 2023)

Thread Information