Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bandsaw silver soldering fixture

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi
    Propane is fine to use for silver soldering. I use a Sievert torch for silver soldering and the size of nozzle can be changed to suit the application being under taken. However, Mapp gas is the way I solder the blades purely for convenience, as it is a hand held torch with no hoses.
    I will try to do the video this weekend and post.
    There are several grades of silver solder and the main difference is silver content, which alters the temperature and price. I use what was, called easy flo, (which I think? is known as 455 now) which has a melting point of 630-660 degree C. This is classed as low temperature silver soldering and the flux I use is the high temperature HT5 Flux Powder. This means I only have to buy one flux, which covers all the materials I will be soldering in my shop.
    Hope this helps
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 19, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

uv8452's Tools
    Dear Home Engineer, I was forced too to switch from welding to silver soldering. (thanks to HMT...) Soldering requires more diligence but doesn't fail. The inclination of my grinding is about 2:1. My jig has more space for the flame: 40mm lengthwise and 40mm in the back of the blade. The upper part of the clamps is 12mm wide and 4mm thick - kind of a toolmakers clamp with 2 screws. The lenght of the guide for the back of the blade (left and right side each) is 80mm - the longer the easier to adjust the blades. That helps to get the back of the soldered blade straight. If not, noise and (the imagination of) dynamic stress disturbs you. I file the excess of solder and misalignment with an extra hard 'Corinox' file.

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information