Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bench top Vertical disk sander

Supporting Member EclecticNeophyte's Avatar
    Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools

Bench top Vertical disk sander

Bench top Vertical disk sander-20140518_151714.jpgBench top Vertical disk sander-20140525_115750.jpg

The above pictures are of a very simple vertical disk sander, that can be mounted on a workbench, table top, etc.. The base is constructed of scraps of angle steel for feet, with rectangular tube for legs. The motor is a 1/2 HP Harbor Freight special, but any motor of similar size and RPM (1725) should work.

The aluminum disk, was made from scrap engine parts, melted down and cast in sand. It was then machined on my Mill-Drill to 9 inches in diameter, approximately one inch thick. The hub is approximately 2 1/2 inches thick. The motor shaft is 5/8" dia..

I still need to cast and machine a table (the temporary one is shown), but so far it works like a champ. WARNING: It makes a ton of wood dust! So it will need to be used with a dust collector, respirator, or in the great outdoors (like I do)...

-EclecticNeophyte

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EclecticNeophyte For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Jul 24, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanks EclecticNeophyte! I've added your Vertical Disc Sander to our Machining and Metalworking categories, as well as to your builder page: EclecticNeophyte's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    That's a nice combination of off the shelf and handmade parts. Also a very useful addition to any shop.

Supporting Member EclecticNeophyte's Avatar
    Thanks

EclecticNeophyte's Tools
    Thanks DIYer. I primarily built it to more easily facilitate sanding/shaping patterns for my green sand foundry... I see there are several other vertical disk sanders built by folks here on the site, that look much better than mine. But I used what I had on hand, and I think it turned out pretty ok.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information