Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building collapses during construction - GIF

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 28, 2019), Dragonhand (Jul 27, 2019), dubbby (May 2, 2020), Miloslav (Jul 27, 2019), Rangi (Apr 28, 2020), Seedtick (Jul 27, 2019)

Thanks

Dragonhand's Tools
    "I told you so!"

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow, there was some lucky people walking away from that.
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    looks like the old bamboo scaffolding again

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    and to quote an ad for carpets in Australia "Mr Hart, what a mess"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jul 27, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 828 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    So scary the things they try to do.

That scene is tragic to watch and more tragic for those who DID NOT get out of the mess. There were some who did not walk away, if they lived through that, they may had very little access to medical care and may have never walked again.

An even more scary to me ... what happens on the jobs where the scaffold does NOT collapse? They would have completed that concrete deck with the poorly mixed, over watered, porous, questionable aggregate concrete they were using.

Then you have to imagine, they just hired some more guys for pennies a day to clean up the mess, and used the same materials to do it all over again. Maybe adding a few poles more poles next time.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Apr 28, 2020), will52100 (Jul 27, 2019)

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    So scary the things they try to do.

That scene is tragic to watch and more tragic for those who DID NOT get out of the mess. There were some who did not walk away, if they lived through that, they may had very little access to medical care and may have never walked again.

An even more scary to me ... what happens on the jobs where the scaffold does NOT collapse? They would have completed that concrete deck with the poorly mixed, over watered, porous, questionable aggregate concrete they were using.

Then you have to imagine, they just hired some more guys for pennies a day to clean up the mess, and used the same materials to do it all over again. Maybe adding a few poles more poles next time.
    How do you know they were using "poorly mixed, over watered, porous, questionable aggregate concrete"? I didn’t see that mentioned anywhere?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 828 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    How do you know they were using "poorly mixed, over watered, porous, questionable aggregate concrete"? I didn’t see that mentioned anywhere?
    I do not know with 100% certainty. I do not know where the work site show is located. However I have been working with missions, building a church in Haiti and homes in the Dominican Republic, for 16 years. (My avatar is actually the logo of our mission) During this work I have tried to educate those I work with in better ways to build. They are HARD workers, but they have no way to learn proper, important ways to do things. I KNOW from experience it is common practice to use questionable aggregate, excessive water, inadequate mixing, no consolidation, as well as (I forgot to mention) improper curing conditions. It is very common to just let the concrete bake in the hot Caribbean sun.

The church that I help to build was one of VERY FEW buildings that did not collapse in the 2010 earthquake that devastated Haiti.

The horrific death toll, in excess of 230,000 souls perished, was partially due to poorly constructed buildings. Most all of which are constructed with poorly executed reinforced concrete. https://www.thebalance.com/haiti-ear...conomy-3305660

Name:  Wet Concrete.png
Views: 2865
Size:  54.7 KB

If you watch the video closely, specifically where the yellow arrow clearly shows the man's reflection in the water pooling on top of the concrete. If you watch the man with the shovel where the red arrow is, you can see the concrete dripping from his shovel.

I stand firmly behind my experience and observations.
    Last edited by hemmjo; Jul 27, 2019 at 10:07 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Apr 28, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 28, 2019)

Thanks
    Of the eight people I count that went down in the collapse I count seven that seem to have been lucky enough to be able to walk away.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm afraid third world conditions are common, no matter how tragic. Even with a partial infra-structure, it's not wide spread.
    Yet the rulers, usually despots and dictators, are very comfortable. so there will likely always be third world countries.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 28, 2019 at 09:44 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Radioman (Jul 29, 2019)

Thread Information