Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY Demagnetising tool that works

Supporting Member Mark Presling's Avatar
    Thanks

Mark Presling's Tools

DIY Demagnetising tool that works

If you are like me, you can get sick of tools like screwdrivers, scribers and allen keys that pick up swarf because the tool has gradually acquired a magnetic field. I purchased one of those little demagnetising tools that have a kind of staircase opening inside a plastic housing but was disappointed with the almost non existent effect on the tool. I wanted to build something better but I also didn't want to use anything like a modified transformer since they looked a bit scary. What I came up with was a device that can be used in the drill press, lathe or even a cordless drill. It uses four rare earth magnets with alternating pole orientation which can be spun so that the magnetic field is rapidly switched in the presence of the tool. All you have to do then is to slowly withdraw the tool from the effect of the spinning magnets. That's it!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Mark Presling For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), 8uptoo (May 6, 2022), aphilipmarcou (May 17, 2019), Beserkleyboy (May 11, 2019), Carnel (Jul 9, 2021), Eaglewood (Jul 8, 2021), emu roo (Jul 9, 2021), Floradawg (May 7, 2022), freddo4 (May 17, 2022), Javierhm (Jul 9, 2021), jimfols (May 10, 2019), Jon (May 12, 2019), lassab999 (Nov 9, 2023), Maszynotwór (May 12, 2019), mklotz (May 11, 2019), Moby Duck (May 11, 2019), nova_robotics (May 6, 2022), olderdan (May 11, 2019), Paul Jones (May 13, 2019), rgsparber (May 10, 2019), rlm98253 (Jul 8, 2021), Seedtick (May 10, 2019), sossol (May 10, 2019), threesixesinarow (May 18, 2019), tonyfoale (May 10, 2019), Tonyg (May 11, 2019), Toolmaker51 (May 19, 2019), uv8452 (Jul 8, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Mark Presling! We've added your Demagnetizer to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Mark Presling's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Very neat, quite ingenious.
    I made a demagnetiser and magnetiser from a transformer. Sometimes a magnetised screw driver or allen key is very useful so I can magnetise and then demagnetise at will.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Well done, Mark! Thanks for the great video. That'll be on the must make list...I'm in the same mind as many, good to have driver bits magnetized SOMETIMES...and twist drills never....cheers
    Jim in Sunny South Coast NSW

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    ........ good to have driver bits magnetized SOMETIMES...and twist drills never....cheers
    Jim in Sunny South Coast NSW
    That gets my vote.
    Where on the south coast, I used to live in Cronulla, then Woronora.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Tony,
    Shoalhaven Heads, east of Berry. Small world, eh? Emigrated from SF (Orinda/Berkeley) Calif in 87, lived and worked in Sydney til 2003, moved to Bowral, down to coast 2012...this is probably the last stop...but ya never know...cheers
    Jim Pearson

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Tony,
    Shoalhaven Heads, east of Berry. Small world, eh? Emigrated from SF (Orinda/Berkeley) Calif in 87, lived and worked in Sydney til 2003, moved to Bowral, down to coast 2012...this is probably the last stop...but ya never know...cheers
    Jim Pearson
    Jim,
    I left for the UK in 1971 to race in the Isle of Man, ran out of dosh, so no flight home, and had to make a life in Europe. Been in Spain for the past 30 years.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Tony,
    Travelled through Egypt, Spain, Morocco and Portugal in 2017. I could live in Spain or Portugal easily...but I'd have to brush up my schoolboy Spanish...Cheers
    Jim

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,840 Times in 11,338 Posts
    Congratulations Mark Presling - your Demagnetizer is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Clever solution, and a great first-post win. You know it's a good homemade tool when, three days later, your build inspires someone else to build a similar tool.

Some more nice builds from this week:

$20 Tool Post Grinder by Welcome to the Machine
    Ball Turning Device by Fintho
    Simple Trailer Unloader by olefella
    Drill to Mill Conversion by The Aussie Shed
    Buffing Disc by Kovanca Polock
    Magnetizer and Demagnetizer by tonyfoale
    Table Clamp by Kwandotechnic
    Half Step Ladder Attachment by rgsparber
    Sand Muller by Bongodrummer
    Bender by Bricoleando
    Center Point Finder by Lahis
    Axle Welding Fixture by Frank S
    Rotatable Two-Tire Lift by racerdude31
    Leveling Rake by frugalolegeezer
    Bandsaw Fixed Jaw Alignment by rgsparber
    Router Table by RCTURKA
    Shark Tooth Scoop Shovel by frugalolegeezer
    Shop Press Foot Cap Adapters by Unisawyer

Mark Presling - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    hardly ever need to demagnetize anything usually I have the opposite problem I will need an Allen wrench or tool bit or screw driver magnetized for these I keep a small selection of button neo magnets in a wooden box When done I remove the magnet any residual magnetism left in the tool is fine by me if swarf becomes a problem just rap the tool against something to knock the swarf loose .
    But I know that a lot of guys need their tools free of any residual magnetism your demagnetizer looks like it would fit the bill for that, good job
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information