Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 LastLast

Thread: High-quality black-and-white photographs of large old machines and tools

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Everything starts with an idea. Someone wakes up thinking I'm going to build a 50,000 ton press. His first problem is there are no furnaces or cauldrons large enough to melt the iron for the castings there are no forging hammers large enough to forge the parts no lathe exists to machine the shafts nuts bolts pulleys gears ETC. No materials handling equipment to assist in the movement of these large items. The only way these behemoths can become is smaller equipment has to be used to make ever increasingly larger equipment until one day 60 to 90 years later we get to enjoy looking at a black and white picture of a mechanical wonder of the world which has been in operation since before many of us were even born.
    It would be interesting to watch one of these builds in reverse all the way back to its beginning then to see how many times machines had to grow from the conception of the industrial revolution watching each machine devolve until we were all the way back to the hammering of the first sponge of molten iron
    I wonder if James Burke did a series on the evolution of giant machines came about?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    ---Quote (Originally by Frank S)---
    I wonder if James Burke did a series on the evolution of giant machines came about?
    ---End Quote---
    There's an old saying “if I can measure it I can make it”. As already pointed out, you still need the tools to do the job. That said, how about a video series for today's media on the evolution of mechanical metrology going back to what we know of its role in the building of civilizations? The stories range from measuring the length of a kings foot to measuring the wavelength of light. Somewhere in the middle of that is the story of when, in the time of the first world war, the US navy sent one of its fastest destroyers to Sweden to bring back 4 sets of Johansen's gage blocks. Has such a production already been done? Anyone have a link?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Weldon View Post
    ---End Quote---
    There's an old saying “if I can measure it I can make it”. As already pointed out, you still need the tools to do the job. That said, how about a video series for today's media on the evolution of mechanical metrology going back to what we know of its role in the building of civilizations? The stories range from measuring the length of a kings foot to measuring the wavelength of light. Somewhere in the middle of that is the story of when, in the time of the first world war, the US navy sent one of its fastest destroyers to Sweden to bring back 4 sets of Johansen's gage blocks. Has such a production already been done? Anyone have a link?
    Don't include the bit about the king's foot. It might encourage some poor benighted nation to use a measuring system based on body parts, grain and other accidents of nature.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 4, 2023)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Weldon View Post
    ---End Quote---
    I don't know if an adaptation of the book has been made, but Simon Winchester wrote an excellent book about it called "The Perfectionists:How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/35068671

Highly reccomend it; it's a fascinating story of the advance of modern metrology.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

ductape (Sep 4, 2023), Frank S (Sep 4, 2023)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts
    Furnaces at the Rust Engineering Company. Bethlehem, PA. 1968.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...2_fullsize.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Ralphxyz (Sep 15, 2023)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    44-inch blooming mill at the Homestead Steel Works. Homestead, PA. April, 1954.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...0_fullsize.jpg

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Forge department at the Mesta Machine Company. West Homestead, PA. March, 1918.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...6_fullsize.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Sep 25, 2023), Ralphxyz (Sep 30, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Lunch time...

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Planer in the McKees Rocks Machine and Erecting Shop. McKees Rocks, PA. April, 1904.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...9_fullsize.jpg

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Oct 2, 2023), Philip Davies (Oct 7, 2023), Ralphxyz (Oct 7, 2023)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Machine Department at the Mesta Machine Company. West Homestead, PA. 1905/1925.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...7_fullsize.jpg

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Oct 9, 2023), Ralphxyz (Oct 14, 2023)

Thread Information