Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Home built universal grinder

Supporting Member
    Thanks

albertq's Tools
    Thank you. Indeed when I grind a part and the micrometer shows you are well within 0.01mm it's a great feeling.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

albertq's Tools
    Hi Jon,

I've added some sub-assembly Http files to my post, thus allowing non Fusion 360 viewers to study the assembly's in more detail and can also remove parts for more clarity.
    If they have Fusion 360 CAD, these files can be opened in Fusion with all associated details.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertq For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 25, 2023), Saltfever (Nov 25, 2023)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Albert: Once again I want to thank you for your beautiful presentation and generous sharing of your IP. The http files are easier to orbit than an actual F-360 model! My question is about design intent. Is the timing belt drive on x axis as precise as the ball screw on Y? Or does it even matter since you have fine feed on both axises? What was your thinking in choosing one over the other?
    All the best, -Kirk

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks albertq! We've added your Universal Grinder to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: albertq's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

albertq's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Albert: Once again I want to thank you for your beautiful presentation and generous sharing of your IP. The http files are easier to orbit than an actual F-360 model! My question is about design intent. Is the timing belt drive on x axis as precise as the ball screw on Y? Or does it even matter since you have fine feed on both axises? What was your thinking in choosing one over the other?
    All the best, -Kirk
    Hi Saltfever, my rational for the ball screw on the y axis, was because it is critical for cylindrical grinding, as you are feeding on radius like a lathe, whereas on the x-axis it is straight liner feed and my longitudinal tolerance's are mostly larger than my diametric tolerances. The x-axis belt although wide and steel reinforced still has some stretch, so not as accurate as the y-axis. Likewise I have a ball screw on the Z-axis for fine surface grinding height control.
    Last edited by albertq; Nov 26, 2023 at 06:44 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertq For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 6, 2023), Saltfever (Nov 27, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

albertq's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by stillldoinit View Post
    Beautiful build and pride shown in craftsmanship. Looks like it took more than a couple weekends to put this together. Your build rivals anything in the marketplace,WELLDONE!
    Thanks Stilldoinit, it did take some time but enjoyed the challenge, after all this is my hobby.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to albertq For This Useful Post:

ozylee (Nov 28, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hi Albertq,

I have been involved with machine tools in building and repair (mainly CNC) machines for over 45 years and very impressed with your quality machinery and drawing details.
    If you could send the .dxf files I would be most appreciated.
    I have often thought about building a universal grinder but yours is the next level up.
    It would be a project that I would love to attempt.
    What I see on your parts photo I may have many of the bearings and linear way in my workshop already that I have collected over the years.
    Just waiting for the right project to attempt.

Cheers
    Ozylee
    Last edited by ozylee; Nov 27, 2023 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Albert: Could you post a picture of your control panel? How did you make it; anodize, engrave, silkscreen, etc? Thank you.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

albertq's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Albert: Could you post a picture of your control panel? How did you make it; anodize, engrave, silkscreen, etc? Thank you.
    I drew up the panel face on CAD then had a decal made. In hindsight I should have sprayed a couple of clear coats over it before wiring it all up, as the printing wears off fairly easily if you rub it.
    I made both the panel and box cabinet housing the drivers & power supply, with hinges to make working in them more comfortable.
    Home built universal grinder-hinged-electrical-housings-easy-access-2-.jpgHome built universal grinder-hinged-electrical-housings-easy-access-1-.jpgHome built universal grinder-img_5778.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home built universal grinder-img_5778.jpg  

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertq For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 6, 2023), Saltfever (Nov 28, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,649 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Albert,

Considering the effort that you put into this you must be really annoyed with the mis-spelling in the 4th axis column. Many years ago I had a batch of Tee shirts made with a spelling mistake and I hated it.

On some projects I have made face panels by simply laser printing on to adhesive backed paper and sprayed a couple of coats of clear as you mentioned. Recently I have used a laser engraver but that tends to limit the colours. You need light coloured lettering on a dark coloured background. I paint the panel white to start with and then followed by black. The black absorbs the laser light and burns off, but the white reflects the light and stays intact.

Thread Information