Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt 9mm Handgun Suppressor

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Ok now that all of the clap flap is over and done with.
    There is one question I've not read either asked or answered.
    My limited experience with various sound suppressing devices attached to a fire arm has shown some to reduce the muzzle velocity by varying amounts some to the point of a noticeable amount of additional recoil felt in the weapon also greatly reducing the foot pounds second or meter kilograms seconds in your case. greatly altering the anticipated penetration depth of a particular round.
    have you had a chance or inclination to preform any tests which could offer you a determination of a round's effectiveness striking the target.
    Accuracy is always a primary concern but you seem to have managed to be able to dial in a predictability to that issue. I might add in a most intriguing way I'm trying to remember if or where I had seen that method before.
    Bear in mind I make no claim to be a gunsmith even a novice one even though I have repaired my fair share of fire arms.
    I unfortunately don't have the means of testing the energy levels etc, but even over a longer distance (30M) rounds still appear effective and still on target as they would be without the suppressor. I do believe though the the wet suppressors or suppressors that contain the rubber wipers tend to reduce the velocity somewhat. I have never fired one, so wouldn't be able to confirm that though.

Since the round leaving the barrel in my case doesn't come into contact with anything inside the suppressor, I do not believe that there will be a noticeable or measurable difference. What I do feel though is a noticeable reduction in recoil, but that I would assume (bad word) is due to the added weight so far forward on the barrel.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Sometimes people associate recoil with muzzle rise or drift if fired the way of the boys in the hood
    But the overall weight of a weapon in ratio to powder charge versus projectile grain would have a lot to do with it.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Hi everyone, I'm a brand newbie here, so please take this with a grain of apprehension.
    I've done some minor experimenting with suppressing firearms, (.22 Cal. only) and found that BOTH those with removable cups, as well as those with an angular insert can be further quieted with the addition of rubber washers coated with Flex-Seal -- OR bits of felt cloth coated with Flex-Seal. Non-hardening silicone caulk works also. I don't own any sound measuring devices, however, the decibel reduction is quite noticeable. I based my theory that bare metal reflects noise, and sticky rubber OR cloth ABSORBS IT. You might try a few similar experiments and may find significant improvements in sound reduction. Not to brag, but I have one particular piece (using SUB-SONIC ammo of course) down to a minor *CLICK*. It was so quiet, I thought I had a misfire. 2 B continued...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delta tango For This Useful Post:

alainbiggun (Jan 15, 2023), allenz (Aug 8, 2023), baja (Oct 24, 2022), Jon (Sep 20, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Great job and glad to see you post it, but is there some holes missing in the washers?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    You only need 1 hole in the center of each washer for the round to clear.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jughead For This Useful Post:

greenie (Oct 24, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Open up a store bought one and see it has some additional holes or slots, somewhere for the gasses to escape slowly I believe.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by dbat74 View Post
    Open up a store bought one and see it has some additional holes or slots, somewhere for the gasses to escape slowly I believe.
    Not all of them do. It just depends on the design. Here are photos of my new A-TEC, supposedly one of the best on the market.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jughead For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 27, 2022), Jon (Oct 27, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Best one out there is one from SilencerCo I believe.

Thanks
    c'est un phénomène très connu,et là,bien maitrisé ! bravo pour l'idée

Thanks
    désolé, mais je pense que c'est uniquement le fait de canons longs qui vont osciller sous l'effet combiné de l'effet de l'avancée de la balle dans le canon et de la pression des gaz.

là,un canon de pistolet est trop court pour avoir cette souplesse.

par contre le tuner est assez utilisé en competition petit et gros calibres carabine. il se règle par vissage pour que la sortie de la balle soit au moment d'une onde la plus favorable

Thread Information