This is my latest project which is a wood lathe/bowl turner.
1. Bearing holder welded to a 10mm plate, the plate closest to the back of the lathe is larger than the front to be able to remove the face plate end bearing and shaft, pulleyed shaft and to fit the longer V-belts for changing pulley ratios, which will enable the lathe to reach a higher RPM in case I decide to turn something a bit smaller than the average size I intend to do. It's takes about 20min to change pulleys, bit of a pain to squeeze my arm down to the bottom of the headstock column and remove the bolts. The no load normal face plate RPM is 0-1160 and if I shift the motor back and align and use the smaller ratio pulleys, it reaches 0-2166 RPM. As I intend to do larger pieces for the majority of turning, I have reduced the ratio from the 1440RPM of the motor to get higher torque at slower shaft speeds. The motor is 4HP controlled by a Emheater 4Kw variable speed drive (VSD).
2. Bearing fitted to the holder.
3. Short legs I made to raise up the height of the lathe so that the center of the face plate is at a more comfortable height for turning.
4. Capped the support SHS (Square Hollow Section) ends with a piece of plate which the wheels will attach to and make the lathe movable when required. As wood turning throws a lot of shavings and dust, I will move the lathe outside so that the shed remains wood free, As I mainly turn metal and weld in the shed, that will not end well if there is sawdust and wood shavings everywhere!
5. Welded the modified Uni beams to the 4mm x 100mm SHS, the Uni beams were originally twice as high, but I plasma cut them down the middle and then switch welded the two halves together, this gave me the mass but without the height and the centre web is now about 20mm thick with 12mm tops and bottoms. I had originally intended to use those uni beams to make a large Hydraulic shop press, but after sitting in the shed for a few years I realized that I would get much more use out of a wood lathe then a big press, so they were reassigned. All up, the lathe completed should weigh about 350-400Kg.
6 and 7. The motor mount rails are made from a piece of channel cut in half to make a piece of angle steel, the tops are 10mm and the support side is 8mm, each top has 4 holes drilled and tapped with a 9/16" thread to hold the motor down in two positions along the length. The motor can be positioned to move back for high speed and forward to get slower speed and more torque.
8. Making the motor double pulley and drilling out the center with a 25mm drill. Finished the hole size with a boring bar to match the 28mm motor shaft, had to send it out to get a keyway broached as I don't have the broaching tools to do it myself. That is the only one of two things on this project that I couldn't do myself, the other being programming the VSD, had to get a sparky friend of mine to do that.
9. Welded a piece of 10mm plate for webbing support for the front.