Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Makeshift lap

Threaded View

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 344 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Makeshift lap

I wanted to bore several 26.5 mm holes in oak. They must be square to face and edge. I do not have ready access to a lathe anymore. The hole must be smooth. I do not, of course, have a 26.5 mm Forstner bit.
    I do however have an adjustable wood boring auger:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0480.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	45946
    I hope you appreciate that the wood is plumb in the vice, it’s just my posture. You can tell by the door jamb, which is plumb, or it was.
    Why are my keys on the auger? This is a tip I learned at college, thanks, Danny. If the keys go away or towards you as you drill, then you’re not square. The other planes you must judge by eye. Well, this is just a tip. The bore, as expected, is not at all satisfactory, far worse than an Forstner bit, although it might do if I just wanted to run a tube through it.
    I have a 25mm Forstner bit to remove most of the waste. This was the first operation.
    I also have a short piece of round bar, 25.35 at the largest diameter.
    This I heated red hot, and taking it outside, pushed it though each of the holes, from each side. (2 heats).
    This is the result, the steel, now cold, in the centre.

Name:	IMG_0486.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	45947
    The holes taper towards the middle. Now I need to remove the taper and any excess material.
    The tube on the left is just under 27 mm. On the right you see an ordinary sanding spindle, 20 mm dia. I have wrapped a bit of tape around the rubber sleeve, pushed it into the tube and tightened the nut on the arbor. Then I cut through the steel tube leaving a slight excess. This is the lap which I then abraded, with it in the drill chuck and the motor running.
    I ran it until I was happy with the diameter, then passed it through the holes, with very little resistance.

Name:	IMG_0484.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	45948

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	45949
    I suppose if I had needed to drill, say 27.5 mm, I would have sawn down the tube, wedged it open, and used more tape on the arbor.
    You may think that burning the holes out made it very time-consuming. It wasn’t the only job, though, I was just using the opportunity presented by the unseasonable weather. Also, I wanted the oak hardened around the holes, as well as smooth. This is the way I learned to fabricate makeshift bearings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	45945  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (Aug 8, 2023), Jon (Aug 31, 2023), mr mikey (Aug 8, 2023), rlm98253 (Aug 7, 2023)

Thread Information