Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making an air fishing cannon

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Metalgeria's Tools

Making an air fishing cannon

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Metalgeria; May 9, 2022 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Missing title

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Metalgeria For This Useful Post:

Andyt (May 10, 2022), Christophe Mineau (May 16, 2022), DIYer (May 10, 2022), emu roo (May 9, 2022), Jon (May 12, 2022), NortonDommi (May 9, 2022), RetiredFAE (May 9, 2022), Slim-123 (May 14, 2022), Wildwilly (May 9, 2022)

Thanks
    And exactly what is the purpose of that canon? I don't live by any oceans & not much of a fisherman!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Metalgeria's Tools
    I live next to the see, so i wold like to use a toole made by me for fishing

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    The bait is frozen into a ice cylinder. It is fired from the cannon probably at least 3x farther than hand casting! Kind of a nice idea.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    These used to be common here then the scum in the police gang decided that they had to be classified as firearms and a license was needed to own and operate. These are the same scum who along with every single politician illegally broke the contract licensed firearm owners had with the state in order to start charging on-going fees while at the same time deliberately arming all the other career criminals and gangs to drive up crime involving firearms in order to facilitate a 'gun grab', and then they destroyed all the ownership records.
    Silver lining is that now the politicians are worried because they have absolutely no idea how many firearms are in the country, what they are, where they are or who has them.
    Ruined what used to be a fun day at the beach.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

ChasT (May 9, 2022), Floradawg (May 11, 2022), Frank S (May 9, 2022), Moby Duck (May 10, 2022), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2022)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    [QUOTE=NortonDommi;203075]These used to be common here then the scum in the police gang decided that they had to be classified as firearms and a license was needed to own and operate.

I think the new NZ laws around spud guns and beach cannons only apply to devices that are powered by an explosive charge so this compressed air design might be a loop hole in the law. Old beach cannon were usually powered by black powder/blasting powder and spud guns by hair spray or LPG, these are now classified as firearms because it’s an explosion that powers them. I like to think that the one in this video, being air powered, should be classified as an “air gun”, no licence required, but I could be wrong. I particularly like the ice projectile, a great idea but unless you had a freezer on the beach it might be a bit hard to keep them frozen. You would need a compressor on the beach too, or a dive bottle to recharge it. I used a beach cannon as a teenager, it was a simple 2” tube, crushed and welded shut at one end, propped up with sand at a 45 degree angle and we then lit a fire on the back end of the tube before running away a safe distance and waiting for it to fire. Crude but it worked, it would throw a multiple hooked long line out about 150 yards to where the fish were.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

Metalgeria (May 10, 2022), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2022)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    The bait is frozen into a ice cylinder. It is fired from the cannon probably at least 3x farther than hand casting! Kind of a nice idea.
    Often the projectile is just a sinker. Multiple baited hooks are spread out along the beach and all fired out together. If velocity is too high it sometimes tears bait from the hooks but generally most of them survive.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

Metalgeria (May 16, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Metalgeria's Tools
    I use a 12V air car commressor to compress the air again.. thanks for the comment

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalgeria For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (May 15, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Metalgeria! We've added your Air Cannon to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Metalgeria's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    These used to be common here then the scum in the police gang decided that they had to be classified as firearms and a license was needed to own and operate. These are the same scum who along with every single politician illegally broke the contract licensed firearm owners had with the state in order to start charging on-going fees while at the same time deliberately arming all the other career criminals and gangs to drive up crime involving firearms in order to facilitate a 'gun grab', and then they destroyed all the ownership records.
    Silver lining is that now the politicians are worried because they have absolutely no idea how many firearms are in the country, what they are, where they are or who has them.
    Ruined what used to be a fun day at the beach.
    The main thing that keeps liberals up at night is the thought that somewhere, someone is having fun.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Floradawg For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (May 11, 2022), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2022)

Thread Information