Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Making an air fishing cannon

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    [QUOTE=Moby Duck;203101]
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    These used to be common here then the scum in the police gang decided that they had to be classified as firearms and a license was needed to own and operate.

I think the new NZ laws around spud guns and beach cannons only apply to devices that are powered by an explosive charge so this compressed air design might be a loop hole in the law. Old beach cannon were usually powered by black powder/blasting powder and spud guns by hair spray or LPG, these are now classified as firearms because it’s an explosion that powers them. I like to think that the one in this video, being air powered, should be classified as an “air gun”, no licence required, but I could be wrong. I particularly like the ice projectile, a great idea but unless you had a freezer on the beach it might be a bit hard to keep them frozen. You would need a compressor on the beach too, or a dive bottle to recharge it. I used a beach cannon as a teenager, it was a simple 2” tube, crushed and welded shut at one end, propped up with sand at a 45 degree angle and we then lit a fire on the back end of the tube before running away a safe distance and waiting for it to fire. Crude but it worked, it would throw a multiple hooked long line out about 150 yards to where the fish were.
    Yep, Spud guns are illegal now and air rifles and pistols above an arbitrary power rating need a firearms license since an undercover cop who was trespassing while attempting to attach a tracking device to a car had a heart attack after he was chased down and shot with an air rifle by one of the house occupants.
    Many of the old beach cannons were basically re-purposed spud guns powered with a bit of Methylated spirits or hairspray, others air powered pumped up with a air mattress pump. I Know of people who have been prosecuted, others given warnings for both types. Back to the old Kontiki I guess.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by NortonDommi; May 11, 2022 at 06:19 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (May 16, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    [QUOTE=NortonDommi;203219]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post

Yep, Spud guns are illegal now and air rifles and pistols above an arbitrary power rating need a firearms license since an undercover cop who was trespassing while attempting to attach a tracking device to a car had a heart attack after he was chased down and shot with an air rifle by one of the house occupants.
    Many of the old beach cannons were basically re-purposed spud guns powered with a bit of Methylated spirits or hairspray, others air powered pumped up with a air mattress pump. I Know of people who have been prosecuted, others given warnings for both types. Back to the old Kontiki I guess.
    I guess if all guns were outlawed, I would become the only outlaw with guns before handing over a single one of them

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (May 11, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    [QUOTE=Frank S;203225]
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post

I guess if all guns were outlawed, I would become the only outlaw with guns before handing over a single one of them
    I don't think you'd be the only outlaw with guns, Frank. Not at all.

Bill

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    [QUOTE=WmRMeyers;203242]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post

I don't think you'd be the only outlaw with guns, Frank. Not at all.

Bill
    I know so. That is what is keep the pollies heads pulled in a bit here. The police gang ignored all input from licensed firearm owners and in conjunction with every single political party broke the contract they had with shooters and brought in a new,(expensive),license that had to be renewed every 10 years while totally ignoring all input from shooters and then the police went and destroyed all the old records.
    This was done to deliberately arm all the other gangs and career criminals and push up crime involving firearms in order to facilitate a nationwide 'gun grab'.
    The upshot is that years down the track no-one has any idea of how many firearms are in the country, what they are, where they are or who has them.
    I can say that some people have large inventories and many, many people don't have one of their 'new licenses'.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    The main thing that keeps liberals up at night is the thought that somewhere, someone is having fun.
    We can all imagine other ways to keep liberals awake all night, though as recipients, they wouldn't find it much fun.

Far as firearms go, a good loophole remains when they connect firearm with term 'explosive'. Firearm smokeless propellants DO NOT explode, they burn rapidly when contained, many fizzle weakly in open air. It should give prosecutors fits to find a danger in a large handheld tube dependent on a separate compressor or
    un-powered air tank. Another is when they attach term 'rifling or rifle', smoothbores haven't much aiming potential.

Illegitimately, governments use "gun", "firearm", "weapon" and such terms with such abandon, but ignore simplest ones, with "crime" at head of the line. Crime control is just window dressing, bait for liberals, and terrific hole to dump study funds. Are not predictable results decent proof of agendas?

Meanwhile, the bait projector could be re-identified.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    We can all imagine other ways to keep liberals awake all night, though as recipients, they wouldn't find it much fun.

Far as firearms go, a good loophole remains when they connect firearm with term 'explosive'. Firearm smokeless propellants DO NOT explode, they burn rapidly when contained, many fizzle weakly in open air. It should give prosecutors fits to find a danger in a large handheld tube dependent on a separate compressor or
    un-powered air tank. Another is when they attach term 'rifling or rifle', smoothbores haven't much aiming potential.

Illegitimately, governments use "gun", "firearm", "weapon" and such terms with such abandon, but ignore simplest ones, with "crime" at head of the line. Crime control is just window dressing, bait for liberals, and terrific hole to dump study funds. Are not predictable results decent proof of agendas?

Meanwhile, the bait projector could be re-identified.
    Oh yeah! On this side is an assault rifle. Notice the flash suppressor. On the other side is an identical firearm but without the evil looking flash suppressor. This one we reluctantly approve.

Remember that one?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Floradawg For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2022)

Thread Information