Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nuovo modo di piegare le lamiere

Supporting Member
    Thanks

fergiomaria's Tools

Nuovo modo di piegare le lamiere

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fergiomaria For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 19, 2023), Jon (May 12, 2023), mwmkravchenko (May 17, 2023), nova_robotics (May 19, 2023), Ralphxyz (May 19, 2023), RetiredFAE (May 19, 2023), sossol (May 19, 2023), Tooler2 (May 19, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks fergiomaria! We've added your Sheetmetal Bender to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: fergiomaria's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    it looks like a handy small tray maker well done are there plans available ? i talk english

Supporting Member
    Thanks

fergiomaria's Tools
    HO MESSO ALCUNE MISURE PER REALIZZARE IL CARRELLO CHE È BASE DI PARTENZA PER COSTRUIRE TUTTA LA PIEGATRICE. SE HAI BISOGNO DI ALCUNE MISURE FAMMELO SAPERE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    It's a good video, and maybe enough detail to duplicate one, step by step like the presentation, some portions are too high a viewing speed. More noticeable at the end, trying to see how bent parts look.

I prefer the standard methods of apron & fingers/ bar, or presses with punch & die tooling.
    Rollers have a place too. To date, those have been to turn edges of contours, like duct flanges, beads, lip of a fender, fair compound surfaces together, etc. Can't visualize standing up deeper edges typical in box type forms by rolling; seems a lot deformation will occur in the un-clamped side.
    Aside from reduction of material needed (compared to a big plate for an apron), I'm not recognizing a benefit in rolling to achieve shallow standard corners. What am I missing?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    It's a good video, and maybe enough detail to duplicate one, step by step like the presentation, some portions are too high a viewing speed. More noticeable at the end, trying to see how bent parts look.

Can't visualize standing up deeper edges typical in box type forms by rolling; seems a lot deformation will occur in the un-clamped side.
    Aside from reduction of material needed (compared to a big plate for an apron), I'm not recognizing a benefit in rolling to achieve shallow standard corners. What am I missing?
    The single major advantage to rolling is the contact area while forming is miniscule compared to an apron & finger clamping break. allowing for lighter construction less bulk and easier to stow away in a small shop where space is always a premium, if a press break using punch and die set up then you need punches the same length as the inside of the box the same thing holds true for finger clamp apron folding breaks And even with a roller form you need something to fit between the 2 sides and tall enough to clamp the base material.
    Now here is where a small sheet metal roller form can excel over an apron and finger or a press break for a press break for air bending the V width needs to be at least 5 times as wide as the metal thickness and the minimum flange width should be 6 times the material thickness. If we take for example 20ga takes 2.2 tons of force with a V width of 5/16", the minimum v width for 20 ga is 1/4" but it takes 2.9 tons of force. 18ga a common thickness for restoring old cars requires 5.4 tons with a 1/4" V while the recommended V for 18ga is 3/8" With a roller the force is greatly reduced to 100s of pounds force as opposed to tons, since you are only rolling a slight increase in the forming angle on each pass you need multiple passes through and the less of a bend angle you try to make on each successive pass reduces the possibility of deformation of the free edge of the flange. If you roll over a stiffening edge to the flange prior to making the box side, you reduce that even further. plus, it removes the sharp edge and may allow you to use lighter ga material.
    I like his idea, since it is very similar in operation to a bead roller so far as the required strength of the machine is concerned, the major difference in unlike a bead roller the material remains stationary and the roll forming process is more akin to a multi station roll forming machine consider each pass as another rolling station.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 19, 2023), Ralphxyz (May 19, 2023), Toolmaker51 (May 19, 2023)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts
    Congratulations fergiomaria - your Sheetmetal Bender is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This is a unique take on a very common tool build. We'd be interested to see more construction details, and possibly some other applications of this same concept.

Some more nice builds from this week:

Front Alignment Pedestals by Frank S
    Mallet by Mazay
    Kant Clamps by craig9
    Lawnmower Starter by ercaneverything
    Camber Gauge Mount by Frank S
    Hand Powered Chainsaw by My MiniCrafts
    Nickel Plating Method by celsoari
    Differential by fawabros
    Thread Chaser by Frank S
    Miter Gauge by hwmrob
    Vise Mounted Ring Roller by Improvised DIY
    Car Jack by troyhaack
    Domino Jig Fence by Carmonius Finsnickeri
    Center Stand by th62
    Lifting Tool by fergiomaria
    Lug Bolts by hemmjo
    Steel Nose Bandsaw Sled by Make Things
    Collet by Cazual Haze

fergiomaria - you'll be receiving a $100 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 2nd Homemade Tool of the Week win. Here are both of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    My only comment is that it is a very slow method. A normal style of folder would be much faster.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

fergiomaria's Tools
    Grazie Jon per il tuo duro lavoro, sono contento che le mie idee possono piacere a molti.
    La mia mail per il premio settimanale è giovannimaria.ferrari@gmail.com e la scelta è PayPal.
    Ringrazio anche tutta la comunità

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts
    Great, paid. Congrats again

Thread Information