Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sandpaper Dispenser for Woodturners

Supporting Member Tim Pettigrew's Avatar
    Thanks

Tim Pettigrew's Tools

Sandpaper Dispenser for Woodturners

Sandpaper Dispenser for Woodturners-sandpaper-dispenser-tubes-views.jpg
    Have just made myself a sandpaper dispenser for sanding lathe work which both makes the various grades accessible and dispenses by using tear-off plates made from old hacksaw blades. Adapted from an original idea which once appeared on the Laymar Crafts website. Click HERE for construction details.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tim Pettigrew For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Mar 7, 2017), Christophe Mineau (Feb 17, 2017), j.bickley (Feb 17, 2017), Jon (Jul 5, 2020), Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2017)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    That's neat. I made one for use at my lathe but had fewer sizes with larger 1" wide rolls.

Sandpaper Dispenser for Woodturners-p1010028.jpg

and

Sandpaper Dispenser for Woodturners-p1010030.jpg

It is all metal (aluminum) and the spindle is just a scrap of electrical conduit. Assembled with pop rivets. Since I use cloth backed sand paper in it, I did not see any need for a tear strip. The cloth tears straight across with no problems. I have made a nice trimming device with a hacksaw blade for sheets of sandpaper. Sorry, no photo is presently available.

I am wondering about your photo. The right section seems to show some kind of holders for the sand paper rolls. Is that factory packaging? Or did you improvise something?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sandpaper Dispenser for Woodturners-p30_reduced800x600.jpg   Sandpaper Dispenser for Woodturners-p28_reduced800x600.jpg  

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; Jan 29, 2020 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Edited to replace blurred Photobucket images with my originals.
    Paul A.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Feb 17, 2017), Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2017)

Thanks

Tim Pettigrew's Tools
    Hi Paul, the left parts of the picture are drawings showing the front and side views of the dispenser whilst the right part is a photograph of the dispenser as constructed. I think that THIS movie clip of the dispenser in use will perhaps clarify the details. Let me know if not.

I like your metal one but I do tend to use many intermediate grades of paper when I'm sanding on the lathe, particularly if I want to get a very fine finish before the final buffing and waxing.
    Last edited by Tim Pettigrew; Feb 17, 2017 at 02:53 AM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Tim Pettigrew! We've added your Sandpaper Dispenser to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Tim Pettigrew's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Paul Alciatore! We've added your Sandpaper Holder to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Paul Alciatore's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    I like both of them ! I think if I one day invest in the full set of sandpaper rolls, I would do one like Tim.
    Thanks !
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Tim, very clever idea in keeping your sandpaper inventory within easy reach for each grit. The picture shows that the grit size goes down (increasing grit numbers) for each succeeding sandpaper. Is there a reason for that? I would put a fine grit above a coarse grit; there would be a lesser chance for loose coarse grits to cascade down and contaminate the fine grit. Anyway, thanks for the idea.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to j.bickley For This Useful Post:

Tim Pettigrew (Feb 18, 2017)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Yes, maybe we could suggest two improvements :
    _ something like a pin, colored magnet to point out where you stand (its so true that the grit numbers printed behind the paper are so much spaced that you often cannot say what grit is the little chunk you have in the hand)
    _ a clip or maybe a nail (thought dangerous) to store the already used but not worn papers, should find a place somewhete to have it near to each roll of new paper
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Tim Pettigrew (Feb 18, 2017)

Thanks

Tim Pettigrew's Tools
    Very many thanks for your suggestions. Is the J for John Bickley?, anyway yes you are quite right to suggest that the coarser grits should of course be at the bottom to minimise the risk of cross contamination. I guess that the arrangement I came up with reflects my training as a geologist where, in tables of strata, the oldest layers with the highest number (in millions of years) are always placed in descending order beneath the younger (newer) layers with the lowest numbers ;-)

Christophe again you are quite right about the difficulty of finding which grade of paper as the grit sizes are very sparsely printed. The idea of the coloured magnet is one I am already using and they attach neatly to the metal of the hacksaw blades. See photo below

Sandpaper Dispenser for Woodturners-img_3466rotcr.jpg

Thanks again,
    Tim

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Pettigrew For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2017)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Tim, I can totally understand a desire for many grades when working with wood. I do a lot of metal work and find that a combination of natural wear on the abrasive plus a few drops of oil on the paper allows a coarser grade to do the work of a finer one. I can put a real nice finish on aluminum with a 480 grit that has been oiled and with 2000 grit with oil it is almost a mirror. This is, of course, in the lathe where there is some speed involved. It is a little more difficult by hand.

From the side view in the video, it looks like the holders for the rolls are something like PVC or some other plastic pipe or tubing that has been slit for the sandpaper to come out. But your video clip seems to show that they are somewhat awkward in use. Have you thought of making that slit bigger or possibly bending the plastic with a heat gun to make it easier for the paper to come out?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Pettigrew View Post
    Hi Paul, the left parts of the picture are drawings showing the front and side views of the dispenser whilst the right part is a photograph of the dispenser as constructed. I think that THIS movie clip of the dispenser in use will perhaps clarify the details. Let me know if not.

I like your metal one but I do tend to use many intermediate grades of paper when I'm sanding on the lathe, particularly if I want to get a very fine finish before the final buffing and waxing.
    Paul A.

Thread Information