Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small box tools

Supporting Member threesixesinarow's Avatar
    Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools

Small box tools

Here’s a couple box tools I made to use with my little bed and tailstock lathe turrets for taking deeper and more accurate cuts off the diameter than with regular knee tools on relatively long and thin workpieces. They’re basically copied from pictures of existing designs, mostly Levin and Somma.

Like on those the cutter is held more or less tangential to the work, opposite two adjustable supports set back a little to bear against newly cut surfaces. The larger of the two uses hardened rollers in screw adjustable blocks that are held in with dovetails, while the smaller one uses toolbits ground at opposing angles. Both have floating shanks, partly so I can replace them with others for different applications.

They work okay - they’re kind of hard to adjust but that may be just me.

The smaller tool is about 1-1/2” x 15/16” - it uses a 3/16” cutter and 1/8” back rests, and will pass up to about 1/4” work through the body. The bigger one is about 2” x 1-1/4”, uses a 1/4” cutter and passes 5/16”. Both have the tools tilted with 7° side cutting angle as well as front and side clearance, and use 40tpi adjusting screws.

Small box tools-01boxtoolsfront_p.jpg Small box tools-02boxtoolsrear_p.jpg

Small box tools-03boxtoolrollerparts_p.jpg Small box tools-05boxtoolrollerdowelcut_l.jpg

Small box tools-04boxtoolminiscrewcut_p.jpg

Small box tools-06boxtoolminidrawing_s.jpg Small box tools-07boxtoolrollerdrawing_s.jpg

Small box tools-08boxtoollevin_l.gif Small box tools-09boxtoolsomma_l.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to threesixesinarow For This Useful Post:

Carnel (Jan 2, 2020), Crusty (Jan 1, 2020), gedive (Jan 1, 2020), Home-PC (Aug 14, 2022), Jon (Jan 1, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Jan 4, 2020), n9dug (Jan 6, 2020), old_toolmaker (Jan 1, 2020), Paul Jones (Jan 1, 2020), Seedtick (Jan 1, 2020), thehomeengineer (Jan 2, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 1, 2020), Tule (Jan 6, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks threesixesinarow! We've added your Box Tools to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: threesixesinarow's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations threesixesinarow - your Box Tools are the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Tough week to win around here! We had a lot of high-quality tool builds.

Some more good builds from this week:

Keyway Cutter by Vyacheslav.Nevolya
    Master Link Tool by garage nut
    Cylindrical Lapping Tool by tonyfoale
    Aluminum Crucible by Weekend Warrior Welding
    Lathe Broaching Attachment by thehomeengineer
    Center Finder by barts metalwork
    Welding Table by Ironworkerl417
    Crosscut Sled by Mazay
    Organizer by Eloy Workshop
    Tapper Chuck by Crusty
    Spring Clamps by RCTURKA
    Lathe Carriage Lock by bouboulas
    Belt Grinder by House_Work
    Small Piece Holding and Leveling Method by garage nut
    Dead Blow Hammer by CharlesWaugh
    Third Hand by HandmadeCreativeChannel
    Articulated Third Hand by Kovanca Polock
    Tap Wrench by liberal

threesixesinarow - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 2nd Homemade Tool of the Week. Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    Wow thanks!

There were a lot of great tools this week.

Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools
    Here’s a picture of the smaller one to get a sense of their scale. This lathe has about the same swing as old Unimats.

Small box tools-turret01_faceloaded.jpg

It was simpler to make than the bigger one but is really touchy to set up, though it’s quite stable once it is. I wouldn’t want to use one any smaller with this kind of backrests, though, and I don’t think it would work for really tiny stock - something like greenie’s https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/smaller-box-tools-smaller-lathe-77149 which use a guide bushing ahead of the cutter would be a lot better.

Downriver Tools sells plans for a 1/2” shank box tool with a simpler fine adjustment for cutting depth that pivots with the far end of the tangential tool against a dowel: https://downrivertools.com/plan-sets-kits/turret-tooling-plan-sets/1-2-shank-pointing-box-tool-drawings-instructions-285.html I haven’t seen the drawings, I think it’s meant for the pointing tool version to be made separately but it seems like you could make an insert guide bushing holder to go in place of the back rests.

There are many neat old designs, including ones for cutting tapers: https://books.google.com/books?id=OV...PA210&pg=PA207 (C.L. Goodrich and F. A. Stanley, “Automatic Screw-machine Turning Tools”, American Machinist, Feb. 6, 1908, p.207)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information