Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small Parts Cleaning Brush

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    How do you clean the mascara from the brushes?

Neil
    Since makeup cleaning products (micellar cleansing water) contain oil + water, I used a two-step cleaning method: first, clean with mineral oil, drying with a paper towel, followed by washing with dish soap and water.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

sossol (Oct 18, 2020)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilder1954 View Post
    Great point, sossol. I use these as well, had not thought of improving the handle.

Neil, I just wash them in warm water with dawn dish detergent.
    I am not sure if mineral oil makes any difference in cleaning these brushes, but it is effective for cleaning greasy parts (eg label residue).
    On the other hand, it is definite that no solvent helps to clean them, and nobody uses solvents to clean makeup.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Don't overlook the shotgun swabs. I use them to clean Morse taper bores, e.g. tailstock) because they seem to have a magnetic attraction for swarf, much as Swiffer products do for dust, but I'm sure there are other cleaning applications that could benefit from their use.

If you like ideas about repurposing stuff and simple improvements, you might want to take a look at my "one liners" post...

One liners

I would encourage others to collect their own ideas and inventions into a similar format post. Pictures are essential but only minimum verbiage is needed to convey such simple ideas.
    Thanks mklotz. I like the idea of "One Liners" and may be I could gather some tips.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

sossol (Oct 19, 2020)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    the brushes made for cleaning the reusable stainless steel straws are really handy in the shed. about 250mm/ 10" long, flexible S/S wire handle, with about 50mm/2" of circular brush (typically nylon) on the end at about 8-10mm/ 3/8" diameter - bought 10 off ebay for around $5

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Two other possibilites...

These tiny dental cleaning brushes are cone shaped and about 1/4" long by 1/8" at the widest point. The flexible handles are about 2" long...

https://www.amazon.com/Dentek-Brush-...3115207&sr=8-1

These bottle brushes cover a range of sizes with the smallest being only about 1/8" OD...

https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Cleani...3115408&sr=8-4
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Marv;

Some great ideas there.

On the issue of old eyes seeing small things, one of the best bits of dumpster diving I've ever done was to take a video projector apart to remove the lens cells in the projector. I ended up with a magnifier that has the optical quality of a high end device (loupe or hand held magnifier) and it cost me nothing but time. No pictures at the moment but your link reminded with the magnified punch.

Unfortunately I'm finding more and more needs for optical aids.

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Don't overlook the shotgun swabs. I use them to clean Morse taper bores, e.g. tailstock) because they seem to have a magnetic attraction for swarf, much as Swiffer products do for dust, but I'm sure there are other cleaning applications that could benefit from their use.

If you like ideas about repurposing stuff and simple improvements, you might want to take a look at my "one liners" post...

One liners

I would encourage others to collect their own ideas and inventions into a similar format post. Pictures are essential but only minimum verbiage is needed to convey such simple ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Marv;

Some great ideas there.

On the issue of old eyes seeing small things, one of the best bits of dumpster diving I've ever done was to take a video projector apart to remove the lens cells in the projector. I ended up with a magnifier that has the optical quality of a high end device (loupe or hand held magnifier) and it cost me nothing but time. No pictures at the moment but your link reminded with the magnified punch.

Unfortunately I'm finding more and more needs for optical aids.
    LEDs have established a new level of performance for magnifiers. My goto 10x magnifier is this model with built-in lighting...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PK49HB/ref=dp_prsubs_2

and, for really small stuff or stuff that's typical to approach with a larger magnifier, this conventional loupe design, which also has built-in lighting, fits the bill perfectly. Worn on a neck chain, it's always to hand...

https://www.amazon.com/Magnification...3130089&sr=8-5

Of course, I also have bigger magnifiers (e.g. visor, lamp with lens) but the two above get the most use.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Forgot about those. I buy them at walmart. Have several for cleaning straws and a few for the shop. Now I have a lot of straws !

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Of course I have a collection of commercial brushes, but let's not forget that the essence of this forum is about what you can make at home.

Small Parts Cleaning Brush-img_0647.jpg
    Last edited by morsa; Oct 19, 2020 at 02:47 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Well, many times it includes repurposing. I needed a very small wire brush that was at the end of a handle. Could not find anything. Then while doing something else the idea popped into my head. So I pulled out a bunch of wire out of those cheap wire brushes. Then I stuck it into the end of those acid brushes and crimped it down hard to hold the wires in. I thought I would have to solder them in but so far so good. And has served its purpose well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mbshop For This Useful Post:

morsa (Oct 19, 2020)

Thread Information