Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solidified engine oil - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,826 Times in 9,927 Posts

Solidified engine oil - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Aug 18, 2023), nova_robotics (Aug 18, 2023), Rangi (Aug 19, 2023), verticalmurph (Aug 19, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Water in the oil...

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Aug 18, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Water in the oil...
    Yup exactly. That's a blown head gasket right there.

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Maintenance?, check the oil?, what's that?, service engine light is on?, but it still it ran ok?. I have seen this many times. Back in the sixty's part of drivers training was basic maintenance. That went by the wayside.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    I remember hearing about the Obama "green car" drive where they were pouring water glass into old cars to prevent people salvaging parts of the old cars - what effect would that have on the oil?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Aug 18, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    I remember hearing about the Obama "green car" drive where they were pouring water glass into old cars to prevent people salvaging parts of the old cars - what effect would that have on the oil?
    That was such a shame. They did enormous environmental damage in the name of being green, and wiped out the used car market to the point where it still hasn't recovered. Good job guys.

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    That was such a shame. They did enormous environmental damage in the name of being green, and wiped out the used car market to the point where it still hasn't recovered. Good job guys.
    Well, that's just not true on either count. Getting and keeping those cars off the road actually drove both the new and used car markets, keeping sales steady at a time where there likely would have been a downturn. And most of the cars that were removed failed emissions or had other serious (not worth fixing) problems. Also, those cars were scrapped for parts and/or recyclable materials.

However, I will concede that, if you are looking to restore your 1984 Cadillac Cimarron to it's former "glory," you may be out of luck as a result of this program.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    Well, that's just not true on either count. Getting and keeping those cars off the road actually drove both the new and used car markets, keeping sales steady at a time where there likely would have been a downturn. And most of the cars that were removed failed emissions or had other serious (not worth fixing) problems. Also, those cars were scrapped for parts and/or recyclable materials.

However, I will concede that, if you are looking to restore your 1984 Cadillac Cimarron to it's former "glory," you may be out of luck as a result of this program.

There is no possible way wiping out 677,000 low value vehicles from the used car market in less than a year won't have a detrimental impact on used car prices. If we look at the used car price charts, we see a huge jump in prices right around 2009. Because of course it did.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CUSR0000SETA02
    https://site.manheim.com/en/services...lue-index.html

Considering only CO2 emissions, there was a 0.4% improvement annual emissions of the light vehicle fleet in the US. So if you completely discount all of the environmental damage done by new materials needed to be mined, refined, new plastics manufactured, entire brand new cars produced and transported, as well as the disposal of all of the old vehicles, then you can call it an environmental win.

https://emagazine.com/the-cash-for-clunkers-conundrum/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Al...mental_effects
    https://css.umich.edu/publications/r...ons-life-cycle

The government set in place a number of unreasonable rules and deadlines that prevented the recycling of huge amounts of materials from these vehicles. As a result instead of being recycled as they normally would have, they went to landfills.

"The ARA attempted to reason with the government, lobbying to extend the 180 day deadline. They explained that the plastic and metal destroyed by premature shredding represented the same amount of energy found in 24 million barrels of oil, something that the CARS program was supposed to be saving."

"Estimates range, but as little as 3 million tons and as much as 4.5 million tons of toxic residue was sent to landfills as a direct result of the CARS program."

https://autoconversion.net/blog/auto...d-environment/

Cash for Clunkers was an economic stimulus package that was at best a lateral move for the environment, and at worst a blow to low income people in need of cheap transportation.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 20, 2023), Frank S (Aug 19, 2023), mr mikey (Aug 19, 2023), odd one (Aug 19, 2023), verticalmurph (Aug 19, 2023)

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    There is no possible way wiping out 677,000 low value vehicles from the used car market in less than a year won't have a detrimental impact on used car prices.
    _snip_
    Cash for Clunkers was an economic stimulus package that was at best a lateral move for the environment, and at worst a blow to low income people in need of cheap transportation.
    But But But ... it was virtue signaling pure and simple...

One man's clunker is another man's pride and ride...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    But But But ... it was virtue signaling pure and simple...

One man's clunker is another man's pride and ride...
    Obviously, we all were effected mostly in a negative way by the "We're from the Government, and we're here to help." slimeballs. There was nothing virtuous about the cash for clunker program the way it was drawn up and implemented.
    I know some people who used to buy A new vehicle when their old one was getting enough mileage to start having issues. Or when one of their children became olde enough to drive they would give the older unit to the kid and buy as new one. Others would trade in for a newer model only when theirs reached a certain age, usually those were pretty well maintained, so they would fetch as good trade in value regardless of age the CFC program killed the trade in values. made it against the law in some cases for a dealer to offer more than the program allotted for. May have cleaned up a few back yards of the derelicts stored back there but the limit on the total number of vehicles as a private citizen could turn in an take advantage of did little if anything to clean up the environment. Personally, I think the program was an effort to prop up the new car manufactures so they could sell their new junk and raise prices through the roof.
    When I bought my ex wife a brand new 1987 Chrysler 5th avenue I paid less then 18K out the door full optioned list was closer to 30K though. Now if it were even possible to buy a quote un quote sedan of similar interior size it would cost 70k My 89 Full optioned Dodge D350 Diesel cost me 14K try buying a pickup even half as equipped as that one was and it will set you back 90K and still won't get more than 1MPG better mileage less when towing like mine did for 400,000 miles
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information