Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Well there is now 1 sheet of metal on the roof giving me 108 sq feet of covered area not that a 3 ft wide strip 36 feet long 20 plus feet up in the air would do much to protect from the elements
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200111_13_16_04_richjj.jpg
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200111_12_39_12_richj.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Well there is now 1 sheet of metal on the roof giving me 108 sq feet of covered area not that a 3 ft wide strip 36 feet long 20 plus feet up in the air would do much to protect from the elements
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20200111_13_16_04_Richjj.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	33067
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20200111_12_39_12_Richj.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	281.9 KB 
ID:	33068
    It would here, occasionally.
    Often have rain or sun beating down one side of the yard, not the other! Of course, it would likely take path transverse to the roofing slope.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    It's progress forward tho!
    You must have nicer weather than we have right now... it was a balmy -15F this morning, with a breeze... It has warmed up to 1F so far.

Hopefully the next sheets go on smoothly, and you'll soon have some roof coverage that helps.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Was planning on getting more sheets up today but as soon as I started to move the backhoe crane to grab some more the wind got up. it was supposed to blow all day after switching from the South to the North West I caught it during the lull during the change of direction. 5 to 10 MPH breezes don't seem like much until you think about wrestling a sheet of metal that is half as large as a the canopy of a parachute in area and you currently only have a single sheet to stand on things can go south in a hurry. once I have 3 or 4 sheets down the risk management factor drops by a huge factor For 2 or 3 guys it would be a moot deal just fly them up and shift them one at a time in place with a guy on either end and a guy starting somewhere near the middle to get the first couple of screws in. In the past I've been on roofs with a stack of sheets in winds so bad the crane operator refused to bring us another bundle.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    After several days of wind and being tied up on another project I finally got back to the work on the shop
    26 this morning but the wind was blowing out of the North around 15 MPH. went out at 7 to feed the animals and break ice on their water bowls.
    Figured the day might be another wash out but around 10 the wind began changing direction and dying down the temp was in the upper 30's so hooked up an electric heater on the backhoe by 11 I tried to start it the wind had calmed I hoisted 7 sheets up then started screwing them down managed to get 4 before the wind decided to make a brief blow not real bad but enough to make it hard to drag the 36 foot long sheets around so took a brief break then got back up there and screwed down the remaining 3 then went and loaded 6 more hoisted them up by now it was around 3 in the afternoon had the last one screwed down by 5 then Jane told me we needed to go cut some more fire wood incase rainy weather comes in Tuesday like they think
    Any way I now have 40 feet of the 61 feet of the north roof completed
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200119_17_31_41_richeww.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200120_17_27_12_richad.jpg
    The North Slope is done.
    the photo taken around 3:30 this afternoon while leaning against the South East corner column.
    Now I have a lot of stuff to move before I can begin installing the purlin on the South Slope
    thins like this
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20190624_122059asd.jpg

Thanks

Rikk's Tools
    Making good progress Frank! Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Making good progress Frank! Can't wait to see it finished.
    It has taken over a year to get this far, It could take another year to get it far enough to have doors on it

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    It has taken over a year to get this far, It could take another year to get it far enough to have doors on it
    Having half the roof up, when you see how much more to go, and the worst of the winter is yet to come, I understand.
    Do you have any concern about high winds and the columns racking over? I know you buried them deep and in Portland cement infused clay.
    Last edited by metric_taper; Jan 21, 2020 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Having half the roof up, when you see how much more to go, and the worst of the winter is yet to come, I understand.
    Do you have any concern about high winds and the columns racking over? I know you buried them deep and in Portland cement infused clay.
    I do have some concerns enough so that I have some more bracing made up to weld in place and some cables installed for wind stabilization currently my biggest concern is the fact that the ends do not have any columns just the corner columns the North West and South West columns are hero columns the one on the south has the structure for the brick crane tied to it half way up so very little concern there. On the North side the Container stabilizes those but I can still detect more than movement than I felt there should have been when I was dragging the sheets across Probably just imagination and a combination of natural flex due to there being no walls in place. If the building were only 10 or 12 feet to the eves and it had that much movement I would have been really worried.
    Today the winds are gusting close to 30 MPH and from the ground feeling the columns I don't detect any movement at all, That's not to say there is not any I just don't detect any.

Thread Information