Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: trailer-made-scratch becomes boneified tool

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The slanted post means the mounting has to be further off the truck so that it can still swing. Looking at the picture however the jack is vertical so a lot of the weight should be straight down. The cranes I have use a winch on the post.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooler2 View Post
    The slanted post means the mounting has to be further off the truck so that it can still swing. Looking at the picture however the jack is vertical so a lot of the weight should be straight down. The cranes I have use a winch on the post.
    The downward force is the least of the worries where the risk of damage to the truck comes in is the cantilevered load as it is swung onto or off of the bed. This would not be an issue with lighter objects like 2 or 300 lb generator but when the loads are heavier spreading out the foot print by having 2 drop legs at an angle adds safety and stability.
    There are probably half as many different crane mounting designs and cranes mounted on pickups either temporary or permanent as there are folks who would like to have one.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 16, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have only seen one pickup crane in my life and it was mounted to the floor of a half ton, not my idea of strong. I am a farmer and have been going to auctions with hundreds of PU for the last 50 years. I guess we all have front loaders. I like to buy used stuff and often the seller has no facilities. Usually I take a tilt trailer and use a come-along to pull things onto the trailer but would rather just take the truck for 1000 lb items and load by myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Very opportune re-post Jon, thanks of course to Frank S. Even for a lighter trailer, a receiver socket and outriggers would be slick.
    For the second option, loading a truck bed has lots of positives. Think anchoring via receiver, mast to the side & on it's own legs, is a great combination of high [figurative] capacity, portability, and usefulness on other rigs. This could adapt to 5th wheel flat bed just as easily.
    This earns a bookmark!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooler2 View Post
    I have only seen one pickup crane in my life and it was mounted to the floor of a half ton, not my idea of strong. I am a farmer and have been going to auctions with hundreds of PU for the last 50 years. I guess we all have front loaders. I like to buy used stuff and often the seller has no facilities. Usually I take a tilt trailer and use a come-along to pull things onto the trailer but would rather just take the truck for 1000 lb items and load by myself.
    I'm tilt bed too. Good results disconnecting trailer and chocking wheels, winch goes into the receiver, with all the strap paid out. 'My"(?) trick using peeler cores as rollers conquers gravel driveways, with 2 angle sawn oak ramps, about 16" long. Anything softer a path of 2x6's gets it done. Once I reach threshold of trailer, it's about 20 pieces of 5/8" rod. Stomp shears, mill, lathe, that sheet metal break I posted, 2 different 36" bandsaws, grinders; always single handed.

Tilt's may not have highest capacity, but safest loading/ tongue weight adjustment, then offload just kind of in reverse, anchor winch to building threshold.
    Recently found a top handle winch, very convenient, boat trailer winch just as good, once attached to a 90° bracket. It won't care.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information