Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Two stroke engine animation - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,789 Times in 9,904 Posts

Two stroke engine animation - GIF

Two stroke engine animation.

Previously:

How carburetors work - video
    Napier Deltic engine triangular cylinder arrangement - photos

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Nov 12, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Nov 11, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Nov 12, 2021), nova_robotics (Nov 11, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I love 2 strokes. I've owned a DT175 and two YZ250s. I know they're dead now, and have reliability issues, but the Evinrude E-TEC is such a cool motor. I thought 2-strokes were going to make a comeback with direct injection, but it does not appear that is the case.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Nov 12, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I love 2 strokes. I've owned a DT175 and two YZ250s. I know they're dead now, and have reliability issues, but the Evinrude E-TEC is such a cool motor. I thought 2-strokes were going to make a comeback with direct injection, but it does not appear that is the case.
    As long as it is not a chain saw, weed eater or leaf blower I'll go along with you but those 3 things need to be powered by diesel engines with electric start
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Nov 12, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    As long as it is not a chain saw, weed eater or leaf blower I'll go along with you but those 3 things need to be powered by diesel engines with electric start
    You must be built like Schwarzenegger.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    You must be built like Schwarzenegger.
    Nope but if there is anything those little engines should have would be direct fuel injection, no spark plugs better air filtration and electric starters

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Until you try a proper battery powered one. I bought a dual 18 volt Makita weed whacker. It is a small force of nature. Power to spare. Runs full pin for 20 minutes. I have a lot of batteries. Same for my leaf blower. I stand in awe of these electric gizmos. I like em. You just need to be set up with chargers and enough batteries. Having almost every conceivable cordless tool in Makita already I am doing just fine. The competitors have the same types as well. So it's not just Makita.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Until you try a proper battery powered one. I bought a dual 18 volt Makita weed whacker. It is a small force of nature. Power to spare. Runs full pin for 20 minutes. I have a lot of batteries. Same for my leaf blower. I stand in awe of these electric gizmos. I like em. You just need to be set up with chargers and enough batteries. Having almost every conceivable cordless tool in Makita already I am doing just fine. The competitors have the same types as well. So it's not just Makita.
    Right there with ya. I'm replacing all my small gas engines with battery operated tools. So light weight, and I think my Ryobi brushless chainsaw actually has more grunt than the Poulan that was at least twice as heavy (and 100x more of a pain in the ass).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Nov 13, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Right there with ya. I'm replacing all my small gas engines with battery operated tools. So light weight, and I think my Ryobi brushless chainsaw actually has more grunt than the Poulan that was at least twice as heavy (and 100x more of a pain in the ass).
    As much as I dislike battery powered equipment for the simple reason until only recently anything battery operated would self-discharge it seemed just sitting on the shelf. even the batteries themselves would self-discharge. Or it seemed like it to me probably because I hardly ever used the things. Drills saw-saws angle grinders were the worst I could blow through batteries faster than half a dozen chargers could recharge them.
    I'm down to only 2 battery powered devices because I sledge hammered everything else, I bought a converter for my saw-saw to accept the 20v then bought a few of the much longer lasting 4 ,6, and 8 hour 20v batteries they also fit the battery grease gun.
    A friend of mine recently bought a 36/60v weed eater it seems to me that it might be a worthwhile thing to have weighs about the same as a gas powered one and will trim for a solid hour or more on a charge.
    I have a corded Stil 14" chain saw that does ok but for obvious reason is no match for the 58cc 18" gas saw I have but is a lot less hassle to use.
    I have given some serious thought about buying a 60v battery powered 18" saw but not ready to dump that much money into the saw and 3 or 4 batteries.
    So recently have been just using a tractor to push over and drag the whole tree close enough to reach with the corded saw instead of fighting the gas one.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    As much as I dislike battery powered equipment for the simple reason until only recently anything battery operated would self-discharge it seemed just sitting on the shelf. even the batteries themselves would self-discharge. Or it seemed like it to me probably because I hardly ever used the things. Drills saw-saws angle grinders were the worst I could blow through batteries faster than half a dozen chargers could recharge them.
    This is true. The older NiMH stuff used to just go dead. The newer Lithium Ion stuff can hold its drink for months and months. It's generally just a few percent per month self discharge.

This is only light to medium duty stuff though. No serious woodsman is going to buy a battery op chainsaw. But for someone like myself who might go out and cut down a tree every few months, it's just perfect. Even the weed whacker is still better than gas (for me). If you were a landscaper it would make your life hell. But I only need to do 15 minutes of weed whacking every few weeks. One battery charge will do that. But so far as I'm concerned battery op stuff has completely displaced small gas engines in the light duty to prosumer market. Heavier duty than that and you're still going to want gas.

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Both Milwaukee and Makita make really good quality cordless stuff that will easily replace corded. I use a 5 inch grinder regularly. The four other corded grinders do come out to play if I have a need for wire wheel or larger cutoff work. I have two double battery chargers that will charge two batteries at once, and two single chargers. I am not in trouble. Mind you that's over a thousand dollars right there. So the buy in is no cheap. But gone are the days when they were poor substitutes for corded. I run a 36 volt dual battery skill saw that is just as powerful as plug in, a chop saw same deal. A 5 inch random orbital that continuously blows me away for how long it lasts. And a laminate trimmer sized router that I compared directly with the plugin brother and sold the plug in. Makita has just come out with 40 volt stuff that is even longer running. I just can justify the cost. I'm married to the 18 volt stuff for now. But they are keeping the 18 volt line. I have my Dad's 1982 7.2 volt Makita drill that you can still get a battery and charger for from Makita. He did a lot of very large steel buildings with that little thing. On 88 feet of steel roof per side running cords gets a little cumbersome. Running around with a cord free driver was awfully nice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Nov 13, 2021)

Thread Information