Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bushing Remover

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

Bushing Remover

I have a 1955 Ford 860 farm tractor. The seals on the steering gear box are worn out. While I have it apart doing some other repairs, I may as well fix this issue. There are 2 castings with a bushing seated close to the bottom of a blind hole. There is a threaded hole in the bottom for an adjusting screw. There is not much of the bushing showing to grab with a puller. My 2 or 3 hook puller cannot get to the bottom of the hole to even try gripping the bushing.

I made a puller by turning some appropriately sized parts to reach down to grip the small edge. Then used a bolt threaded in place of the adjusting bolt to push the bushing out. I can provide dimensions if someone has the exact same need. I just posted this in case someone has a similar need. In the past I have made pullers that expand after you push them into the hole, but this was quicker and did not use as much material.

The parts include:

1) A bottom plate that slides down inside the bushing. This plate has a headless bolt for a handle and is sized to he about 1/2 as thick as there is space under the bushing

2) The pulling fingers were turned as one piece to just slide into the bushing with a lip on the bottom to engage the edge of the bushing. The lip is a bit less than 1/2 the height of the space under the bushing. This was then cut into 3rds to create the fingers. One piece has to cut smaller to allow it to slide into place between the first two.

3) Sleeve that drops down over the headless bolt to push the “fingers” outward under the bushing. The sleeve I made has two parts only because I had a small tube and a small piece of round stock to turn to size and drill. Did not want to waste a larger piece of material turning it down to make the sleeve.

4) The puller with the parts assembled. The handle bolt is not shown here.

5) Inserting the plate with handle into the bushing.

6) The fingers in place in the bushing

7) The sleeve inserted pushing the fingers out under the lip of the bushing.

8) The bushing to be removed is 1.250” x 1.125” x 0.840”. The small recess visible at the bottom of the hole only leaves about 0.060 of the bushing exposed for a puller to grip.

9) Bolt threaded into the hole to push the the bushing out.

10) Bushing removed, Notice the bolt handle is now sticking out the bottom of the plate. The push begins with the bolt threads flush with the plate bottom. Begin the push, then as the push bolt runs out of thread, back it off and turn more of the handle through the plate, then finish the push.

Click to enlarge
    Bushing Remover-small-bushing-puller.png

Here are some details of the fingers. I thought of this improvement after I made my puller

Bushing Remover-puller-details.png

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by hemmjo; Jul 21, 2023 at 05:45 AM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Feb 27, 2024), baja (Jul 22, 2023), Inner (Jul 21, 2023), Jon (Jul 28, 2023), metric_taper (Jul 28, 2023), mr mikey (Jul 29, 2023), nova_robotics (Jul 21, 2023), PaulsGarageProjects (Jul 24, 2023), piper184 (Jul 22, 2023), Ralphxyz (Jul 21, 2023), rebuilder1954 (Jul 29, 2023), Scotty1 (Jul 28, 2023), tonyfoale (Jul 24, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks hemmjo! We've added your Small Bushing Puller to our Heavy Equipment category,
    as well as to your builder page: hemmjo's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,649 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    For bushes that are really reluctant to move I use a dremel style tool with grinding bob and manually grind 2 or 3 grooves down the length of the bush being careful not to break through into the housing. This reduces the pressure between the bush and housing and then it becomes easier for a puller as hemmjo described.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,861 Times in 11,344 Posts
    Congratulations hemmjo - your Small Bushing Puller is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Another big week around here, but this is a clever puller design, and like your Ford 860 Core Plug Installer, it's another nice solution for putting this tractor back in service.

Some more good builds from this week:

Storage Shelves by carl blum
    Storage Shed Security Post by thehomeengineer
    3D Printer Nozzle by PaulsGarageProjects
    Rotary Broach by Improvised DIY
    Boring Head Arbor by tonyfoale
    Storage Shelves by hemmjo
    Fabrication Frame by Frank S
    T-Slot Cutter by PaulsGarageProjects
    Threading Jig by The Hobby Machinist NZ
    Parallel Punches by Philip Davies
    Angled Scribe by think7
    Lathe Gears Modification by Improvised DIY

hemmjo - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

And, you'll be receiving a $100 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon (US-only), PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Thanks. Mr Mikey.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information