Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt 9mm Handgun Suppressor

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ok, disregard my question on the rotation issue. I don't think I have ever seen or heard of this before. Looking at Silencer Co. and seeing there prices kind of has alot of people shying away. Considering that they are now made on high tec CNC machines, my experience tells me that they take a very short time to make.
    10 min. max ? excluding the coatings.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by dbat74 View Post
    Fine threads offer a better fit and hold better. In my experience.
    Indeed in many cases they are the preferred option, going by the number of failed moderators, and worse stuck one's on pest control/hunting rifles, there's a lot to be said for using a thread that less prone to either failure mode. One smith I know of has to machine off at least one stuck moderator a week, using an anti-seize grease and removal after each outing goes a long way in preventing stuck threads!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I confess to envying to anyone owning a METAL LATHE -- but, things CAN be made with scrap aluminum, a drill press, a drill press vise, cutting bits, FILES, SANDPAPER,
    and LOTS & LOTS of PATIENCE !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
    I confess to envying to anyone owning a METAL LATHE -- but, things CAN be made with scrap aluminum, a drill press, a drill press vise, cutting bits, FILES, SANDPAPER,
    Yes indeed. Our ancestors did some amazing things with the tools they had access to. I found the book "Finding Longitude" to be fascinating. There are a few books with similar titles. The one I read was written by Dava Sobel, with forward by Neil Armstrong.

The most fascinating thing to me is how he was able to conceive, design, obtain materials, then fabricate a working marine chronometer that can keep accurate time on board a rolling, pitching, bouncing ship. A major undertaking in the early 1700's.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by blkadder View Post
    Great work there. I know that this project will probably get some haters, but I love to see stuff like this. I have been building firearms for a few years now, and I love nothing better than seeing someone making something firearm related, as well as very cool.
    It's easy enough to do this, but if you're in the USA, you really need to do the paperwork and pay for the tax stamp before you start to build. I'm told they have a new online application for the Form 1 (IIRC) that is supposed to speed things up. Personally, I'm waiting for a politician that runs on repealing NFA34 & GCA68 before I even start to go there. I have read about folks who have gotten convicted of tax evasion because they had pieces of pipe and washers that were considered silencer parts. I'm too old to go to prison now.

Pretty much the same thing, but a different form # to get or make fully-automatic firearms. About 40-some years ago, I had the opportunity to buy a Browning M-2 (Ma Deuce) machine gun, with the tripod and 100 rounds of linked ammo for (can't quite remember now) $1000, I think it was, but could not come up with the money for anything. A few years later, that same gun would go for around $20,000 because of changes in the law. It was probably for the best, because just a couple of years later, I got shipped off to the Republic of Turkey, and wouldn't have been able to take it with me.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by delta tango View Post
    True that! Now whether you should or not can be a very import question! And you don't really need even a drill press, though I have no doubt that would make things a bit easier. Folks in Darra, Pakistan, do some fantastic work with foot-powered lathes and hand tools. Pretty sure most home workshop in the US & UK, for just a couple of examples, are a great deal better equipped, though the skill levels there are probably higher in many cases. Spoken from my advance construction of more than one very poorly rifled "barrel" myself.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Yes indeed. Our ancestors did some amazing things with the tools they had access to. I found the book "Finding Longitude" to be fascinating. There are a few books with similar titles. The one I read was written by Dava Sobel, with forward by Neil Armstrong.

The most fascinating thing to me is how he was able to conceive, design, obtain materials, then fabricate a working marine chronometer that can keep accurate time on board a rolling, pitching, bouncing ship. A major undertaking in the early 1700's.
    That was an excellent book. I read it as an assignment in a history class and kept it in the permanent collection. It was most of a hundred years before anyone started making things like standardized threads and lathes with cross slides... Those guys were truly amazing mechanics!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (Sep 12, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    They do but from what I've seen it's pretty crude.. Same goes for there wood turnings.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    True that! Now whether you should or not can be a very import question! And you don't really need even a drill press, though I have no doubt that would make things a bit easier. Folks in Darra, Pakistan, do some fantastic work with foot-powered lathes and hand tools. Pretty sure most home workshop in the US & UK, for just a couple of examples, are a great deal better equipped, though the skill levels there are probably higher in many cases. Spoken from my advance construction of more than one very poorly rifled "barrel" myself.
    Indeed, there have been attempts, some successful, to criminalise the possession of tools in some circumstances in the UK, not helped by criminal modifying blank firers to become unlicensed illegal firearms, or even manufacturing them from metal stock using machine tools.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Beautiful workmanship. Would be great to test fire using a sound meter so you could measure the decibel reduction.

Thread Information