Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Exactly, Marv.
    Facts, or at least sound reasoning withstand scrutiny far better than any kind of agenda...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 11, 2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: always muckin about in search of the ideal phrase...there's always tomorrow!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Exactly, Marv.
    Facts, or at least sound reasoning withstand scrutiny far better than any kind of agenda...
    The churches seem to have figured out that it's impossible to legislate reality. Their creeds no longer include specifications of how planetary systems are organized. Now all we need to do is get government to come to the same realization; I fear that is impossible.

The depressing thing for me is the fact that the majority of folks today cannot understand, much less duplicate, the mathematical ideas of men who lived 2500 years ago.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 12, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Sep 12, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    The churches seem to have figured out that it's impossible to legislate reality. Their creeds no longer include specifications of how planetary systems are organized. Now all we need to do is get government to come to the same realization; I fear that is impossible.

The depressing thing for me is the fact that the majority of folks today cannot understand, much less duplicate, the mathematical ideas of men who lived 2500 years ago.
    I am retired from teaching 35 years. In college one of the things we learned is that in order for society to thrive, the electorate MUST be WELL EDUCATED. One of the most scary things to me if that over that 35 years, and for the 10 I have been retired, it seems to be that the government is do everything that can to make the electorate LESS educated. All in the name of improving education.

In the name of kids learning more, they feel the need to test, test, test. When too many students do not reach the "standards" that were set, the test or the standards are modified rather than the instruction. In the district where I taught most of my career, and my daughter now teaches, they are told to "differentiate" instruction to meet the needs of individual students. At the same time, all teachers of the same subject, at the same level, in all buildings, must be giving the same lesson on the same day all year long. In addition to that, students who do not do well on tests, are able to take the test over and over, until they understand the material (OR at least do well on the test, even though they may not really understand the material!!!!!)

From my perspective, government is trying to make the electorate less and less capable of clear thinking and reasoning. As mentioned above, it is indeed depressing that, "...the majority of folks today cannot understand, much less duplicate, the mathematical ideas of men who lived 2500 years ago.", Or come up with good solutions to the new issues we face today.
    Last edited by hemmjo; Sep 12, 2020 at 03:23 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 13, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Wait ,wait so let me get this straight if a kilogram is going to equal 1 pound does that mean the kilogram will be reduced by weight and volume or will the pound be increased Kilograms have always been tied to liters just ass grams to milliliters likewise the pound tied to ounces like ounces are tied to cups and quarts.
    Maybe they should merge the yard and the meter or the mile or the kilometer.
    Measurements are set by different standards and can never be changed to be something else so I say either chuck everything and start over from scratch or use one or the other of the existing systems chucking all of the other ways of measuring. Or as I have often heard the statement you do you and I'll do me. Od as I like it I'll do you if that is what you want and I'll do me when it suite me
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    does this mean that theives instead of half inching somthing have to half mm it. (cockney slang for pinch, steal, rob, librate)
    liberate is a forces thing, if you liberate somthing it becomes free. If its free you cant steal it.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    -It's just a joke, man!
    For all you Kleptomaniacs here (who take things literally), some explanation of the joke could be found here:
    https://xkcd.wtf/2073/

Now I won't touch this thread with a 3.048 m pole (neither N & S ditto).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 14, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Think of an event in history around 1861 - US civil war perhaps - just as a time line refference

then consider that the standard weights and measures were lost in a fire in 1834 and wasnt until 1855 that the standards were recreated - who know if they were the same as the old ones of not hard to tell exactly as they were destroyed.

1866, the U.S. Congress passed a law that allowed, but did not require, the use of the metric system in trade and commerce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...yard_and_pound

Around the same time France went metric

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16245391

Followed by the UK in 1962

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric...United_Kingdom

We have to accept that the EU has a huge influence this debate. (Mr DIYSwede will be thinking im having another dig, no my friend thats not the case at all. We like European countries just not the EU central government). So we may be switching to Imperial by Christmas just as the US goes Metric.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 14, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    When it comes to drill bits I prefer two size numerations well possibly a 3rd
    Imperial decimal for smaller or critical sizes higher end millimeter grades since those you can buy in tenths of a MM from the tiny through as large as you want, and lastly a fractional set in 64ths You can forget those 1,2,3s and A,B,C sizes I have no use for them although I do have a set of both
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 14, 2020 at 02:41 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 14, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    ... So we may be switching to Imperial by Christmas just as the US goes Metric.
    If the UK is so devoted to antique, overly-complicated systems, why did it decimalize its currency? Now that you're out of the EU, will you be going back to £/s/d ?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information