Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mill conversion. Home made "Marvin" attachment

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Nice solid conversion in keeping with the original machine, well done.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by glens5 View Post
    Certainly not an original idea on my part but it looked like a god idea for converting to vertical.
    Well, I'll be damned. There's Klotz lubricants and Marvin windows and now Marvin Machine Products. I never realized all the ways my names are associated with the mechanical trades. Makes me feel good.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 5, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    QUOTE=mklotz;160157]Given my name, I have a vested interest in this question...

Why is it called a "Marvin" attachment ?[/QUOTE]

Because calling it a "Frederic" attachment just sounds dumb. Though I remain very attached to my horizontals...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    I haven't checked for run out yet but if there is any I'm sure it'll be from the Banggood collets and holder.
    Really nice build! Thanks for sharing!

Personally, I've been down on my luck on BG MT2 & MT3 ER32 collet holders (4 of them, all in all).
    2 years between placed orders hoping the harsh buyer feedback would've shaped up their quality issues. Guess not...
    Link: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Collet+sets%22

The Collet holders: +/- 5 hundreds of a mm in runout (sic!) and non-coaxial to boot in all 4 cases...
    Worse than the worn-down 3-jaw in the 50 years old lathe at work...
    My only REAL LEMONS in a 70-ish item order history - too bad that would happen to "precision pieces"...

No biggie for me to regrind the ER32 tapers down to below +/- 2 thousands of a mm, tho -
    about half of the ER32 collets in the (M & Imp) sets were in as bad a shape as the holders, too:
    both non-coaxial and non-concentric when tried in the new-ground holder.
    Finish was excellent, throughout - no rough edges, finely ground and clean
    (others have reported bad cuts, rough edges and shavings within).

Even being cheap-to-the bone and given my 20-20 hindsight, I shouldn't have ordered them in the first place.
    Guess I now have to shim their compressible saw cuts up, fit them in holder and regrind 'til "good enuff"?
    -Yeah, right! Sub-6 mm collets just a piece of cake to regrind! "Happy machining!"
    As per their original state - the bad ones are perfectly useless for my intended purpose.
    -Why even pay for runout and non-coaxiality, when you could get that for free in a dirty, old 3-jaw?

Just my 2 cents & YMMV
    Johan

PS: Perhaps the small collets could be honed? Another upcoming project/ waste of time?
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Jun 5, 2020 at 12:50 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 15, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations glens5 - your Horizontal Mill Vertical Conversion is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Huge week around here, with multiple tools that could've won on a less busy week, but this is a very nice build.

Some more good builds from this week:

Chicken House Pest Control by Frank S
    Rotary Table Pallet by jjr2001
    Welding Magnet Cleaner by Mr.DK DIY
    Drill Bit Sharpening Jig by machining 4 all
    Belt Grinder by winkys workshop
    Mini Dumper by warsztatOdZera
    Copper Coating Method by Kovanca Polock
    Electromagnetic Drill Stand by bouboulas
    Threading Die Holder by machining 4 all
    Outfeed Stand by Christofix
    Small Bore Chamfering Tool by metric_taper
    Bench Grinder by h7eh7e
    Set Square by Philip Davies
    Tailstock Spanner by desbromilow
    Indicator Holder by craig9
    Hydraulic Press by Mr.DK DIY
    Threading Tool by mariost
    Turntable by HandmadeCreativeChannel
    DTI Holder by celsoari
    Tap Handle by theeddies
    Angle Grinder Cutting Fixture by fawabros
    Router Guide by Mad Halfling Inventor
    Pocket Hole Jig by Mazay
    Wood Drying Press by liberal

glens5 - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

You've also been granted free lifetime Supporting Member status, which means you can now access all of the tool plans and tool ebooks in our Supporters Forum (thanks to mklotz for that idea). And you'll now notice the Supporters award in the awards showcase in your postbit:

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Well that is interesting. It is amazing how many of these old manufactures have gone away.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    <snipped>
    Guess I now have to shim their compressible saw cuts up, fit them in holder and regrind 'til "good enuff"?
    -Yeah, right! Sub-6 mm collets just a piece of cake to regrind! "Happy machining!"
    As per their original state - the bad ones are perfectly useless for my intended purpose.
    -Why even pay for runout and non-coaxiality, when you could get that for free in a dirty, old 3-jaw?

Just my 2 cents & YMMV
    Johan

PS: Perhaps the small collets could be honed? Another upcoming project/ waste of time?
    Consider bedding them in low-temp alloy. Most are bismuth based, the low temp won't alter heat-treating or anneal what-so-ever. Plug ID with a stub of properly sized aluminum rod, so drilling and boring will be easy. Chuck the holder and dial in. These are educated guesses, certainly easier and more precise than 6 or 8 tiny shims...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Supporting Member
    Thanks

glens5's Tools
    I checked the run-out on the Banggood collets. Some are as much as +/- .010 and the mt2 taper holder +/- .002 so a poor buy at any price.
    The spindle run-out is negligible but I had turned the inside mt2 taper at the same time as the rest of the spindle on the lathe so I'd be surprised if there was any.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Consider bedding them in low-temp alloy. Most are bismuth based, the low temp won't alter heat-treating or anneal what-so-ever. Plug ID with a stub of properly sized aluminum rod, so drilling and boring will be easy. Chuck the holder and dial in. These are educated guesses, certainly easier and more precise than 6 or 8 tiny shims...
    @ TM51: -Thanks for that (hitherto unconsidered by me) tip!
    -Haven't even got any Wood's metal to start with, but I guess I'll have to score some now.
    @glens5 : Bummer that BG hasn't shaped up their QC for these items during the years, and also:
    their complaints department "didn't seem to fire on all cylinders", or was merely using a stalling strategy.
    And then suddenly my "forthright and factual" review on their page got lost somehow...
    Finally - after a tedious and tragi-comical e-mail chain I finally got my refund (less pp and local tax, tho).
    Looking forward to perhaps eventually waste another fine 10 hours of grinding these "freebie" collet sets.

-See, it doesn't take much to make a cheap, masochistic hobby machinist happy!

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I checked the run-out on the Banggood collets. Some are as much as +/- .010 and the mt2 taper holder +/- .002 so a poor buy at any price.
    The spindle run-out is negligible but I had turned the inside mt2 taper at the same time as the rest of the spindle on the lathe so I'd be surprised if there was any.

I don't spend a lot of money gambling, when tools are purchased, and frequently buy used. Hence, my assembly of tooling rivals most any shop I've worked in, including some quite large.
    I might call them Danggood.

From what's been heard here of Banggood, can only depend on that being a noise, after handful dropped on a concrete floor...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information