Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Quick Change Tool Post for Lathe

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Nice job 2gr8kids! Since you posted your completed tool from plans, we'll buy you any plans of your choice. Let me know which ones you'd like, and PM me an email address to send them to.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Fantastic,

It is really great to hear some feedback from someone who has actually built one. It looks great. I hope it proves to be as useful to you as it is to me.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gr8kids View Post
    Paul,
    Thank you for sharing your design. I recently completed building mine and all worked out well. I changed the post nut to be able to use an old wrench that came with my SB lathe. Otherwise it was made per the plans which were very clear and easily understood. Below is an image of the finished product less the handle which is currently on order.

Attachment 26750

2000 Tool Plans
    Paul A.

Thanks

ddickey's Tools
    Paul,
    i just finished the tool post today. I have never been disappointed on any plans I've bought here and yours was no exception. Very well detailed and complete. You must've put a lot of time into them.
    I did make a few changes as I have a larger lathe. I wanted to hold 5/8" tool bits so also had to mill the tool pocket deeper (.500"). I just went slightly larger on the tool holder dimensions adding 1/8" all the way around. Ideally I would have liked to raise the height but didn't have material any taller. I used 5/8-24 all-thread for the stud as I already had a t-nut made and had the all-thread I also didn't drill the mounting nut all the way through.
    The only big mistake was when I drilled the holes that hold the tool bit down I did it on the wrong side. Just put it in the vice and started drilling and tapping. Oh well not big deal I guess. Thanks for a great project.
    Quick Change Tool Post for Lathe-tool-holder.jpg

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Fantastic! Thanks for posting. I love seeing the posts that others have made. And yours looks even better than mine. Nice job on the finish.

If you can, post something about how you find it in use. I would love to hear from others on that score too.

Quote Originally Posted by ddickey View Post
    Paul,
    i just finished the tool post today. I have never been disappointed on any plans I've bought here and yours was no exception. Very well detailed and complete. You must've put a lot of time into them.
    I did make a few changes as I have a larger lathe. I wanted to hold 5/8" tool bits so also had to mill the tool pocket deeper (.500"). I just went slightly larger on the tool holder dimensions adding 1/8" all the way around. Ideally I would have liked to raise the height but didn't have material any taller. I used 5/8-24 all-thread for the stud as I already had a t-nut made and had the all-thread I also didn't drill the mounting nut all the way through.
    The only big mistake was when I drilled the holes that hold the tool bit down I did it on the wrong side. Just put it in the vice and started drilling and tapping. Oh well not big deal I guess. Thanks for a great project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tool holder.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	32149
    Paul A.

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    Nice job on the toolpost.
    Nice workmanship also!

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Nice work ddickey! Since you posted a pic of a tool you built from plans you got on this site, you can choose ANY other plans you'd like for free (we'll buy them from the plans author and send them to you for free). PM me and let me know which ones you'd like.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information