Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Shop Truths, Phrases, Tales; and Outright Lies

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Can't imagine any comment.......
    Shop Truths, Phrases, Tales; and Outright Lies-delivered.jpg
    amplifies this.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolMakerRob View Post
    I agree completely, However I felt this time to keep the quote a quote, so I kept it original.

"We, the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible, for the ungrateful for so long, with so little, we are now capable of creating anything with nothing."

-ToolMaker Rob

That is the modified version I made and used to use all the time. As a Toolmaker / Engineer it is definitely my favourite quote.

Brilliant Idea 51, I have since updated my sig to reflect it
    The way I heard that one, back when I was a simple jet mechanic, added "...in no time at all." That was nearly 50 years ago, and it was not new then. I'd like to believe that things have changed, but from what I can see, if so, they've changed for the worse. I will not say worst. I don't want to challenge them.

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 16, 2021)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    ...Everybody knows the "why is there always time to do it over, but never to do it right the first time?" We tried to put that up on the walls with other stupid stuff management put up but it somehow always disappeared.
    About a year or so before my employment ended, I put up "The beatings will continue until morale improves." on the board in the maintenance shop. It stayed up there for about 6 weeks or so. Management seldom wandered into the office. Might have something to do with that. Was a $4 billion corporation who had just swallowed their next largest competitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A little sign I had on the wall behind my desk read like this " Should the Unknowing, order you the unwilling, to do the impossible for the ungrateful, let me know what they want you to do, and I will show you how to do anything with nothing"
    It was meant to be a dig at our sales staff and management while building the moral and confidence of my engineering staff and the workers on the floor.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 18, 2021)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    A little sign I had on the wall behind my desk read like this " Should the Unknowing, order you the unwilling, to do the impossible for the ungrateful, let me know what they want you to do, and I will show you how to do anything with nothing"
    It was meant to be a dig at our sales staff and management while building the moral and confidence of my engineering staff and the workers on the floor.
    Being retired now, I'm unlikely to need it, but I'm adding it to my aphorisms wall. With attribution.

Bill

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Works for me.

PS That might be my shortest post ever.
    Usually I go one one kind of diatribe or another, maybe a Python-esque rant, or soapbox pulpit attempt to.............oooops
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools

Exclamation On this day

Oooooh Look what the web hath wrought!
    I'm up early this US Labor Day with no thought in mind other than getting the elusive initial setting of brake shoes to new drums. Previous attempts are disappointing. Anyway, opening Google, it's awash with pink-fingered layabouts heaping praise on 'workers' (apparently laborers now a demeaning phrase), gushing praise for what we do...via twitter, facebook, instagram ad infinitum. However, the pictograms depict NONE of the folks toting spud wrenches, shovels, washrags, weld stingers, survey tools, hack saws, or brooms; nor erecting cranes, elbow deep cleaning engine parts, tending crops, conducting forestry, breaking down forest fires...yet spout that tired refrain "they're fighting for us".
    Meanwhile pointing out many are the very same well-wishing ilk who shut down pipeline, construction and other infrastructure projects.

Hmmm. That series of asterisks are not result of my careful typing. I've been canceled? Quantity reflects however exactly those of phrase.
    OK! Substitute El Toro PooPoo, aka Mountains of Guano, or the waste ushered away by another unsung infrastructure, our first world sewer system.
    Somehow, I'm now even more satisfied.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 6, 2021 at 08:29 AM. Reason: delivering intent clearly
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    This reminds me of a sign I saw up in our local hospital. It read:
    “What can do the work of ten men?

.....A woman.”
    I said to the nurse (female), pointing at the sign: “That’s sexist!”
    “It’s true, though,” she replied.
    “Look out the window, “ I told her. “How much can you see that was likely erected or maintained by women”.

I do not mean to diminish women’s importance in the least. The role of women in society is at least, if not of greater significance than men’s.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 7, 2021)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Most of us will agree, a good portion of the POSITIVE aspects of society very well can be attributed to women.
    Men probably claim the SIGNIFICANT percentage, but a large amount of those haven't advanced society, or turned out productive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Sep 7, 2021)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Most of us will agree, a good portion of the POSITIVE aspects of society very well can be attributed to women.
    Men probably claim the SIGNIFICANT percentage, but a large amount of those haven't advanced society, or turned out productive.
    Too True. I made my living for most of the first half of my adult life preparing for war, or participating in war. In a couple of months, I'll have been retired from the US military for as long as I was on active duty. And in all that time, we've still been preparing for, or actively participating in war. I went to war on my 7th wedding anniversary in August, 1990, trying to prevent war from coming to our shores. We failed. If you've seen the video or photos of what CNN called "The Highway of Death" from Kuwait back to Iraq, I helped make that happen. We did manage to keep the Iraqis from invading Saudi Arabia, and to drive them back out of Kuwait, but we did not manage to prevent further problems in that region. Of course, no one else has, either. There is a reason the Middle East is called the Crossroads of War. People have been fighting there since war was waged with bronze weapons, at least.

I heard this song several years before I enlisted, but it means more to me now than it did then:

Bill

Thread Information