Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Interesting stuff about making bells, these guys do it the old way. That portion of the episode starts about 18 minutes in. I just watched this the other weekend while out in the garage trying to get stuff done. A tv does not lend itself to getting stuff done, but it's at least somewhat educational.

Thanks for posting Rikk. It could have been interesting but couldn't get past his obsession with poop.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Jim

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    They are mulling the green sand.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ralphs ghost seems to have a jack-o-lantern floating above his head a little to the left. Another ghost to the right of Ralphs ghost, short ghost. Seems like the Non-ghost gentleman farther to the right has motorcycle handle bars floating above his head.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Rosalind P. Walter, the original inspiration for "Rosie the Riveter" died Wednesday at the age of 95.
    Vintage work crew photos-bb10o6mg.jpeg

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 6, 2020), greyhoundollie (Mar 7, 2020), jimfols (Mar 5, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 8, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    In regard to the photo of the foundry;

There is a lot of information in that photo if you really look at it. The biggest problem with the photo is focus. Unlike many old photos from back then, the depth of field (the distance from the lens for objects to be in focus) is very short. The photo we saw a while ago of the BIG crankshaft was a really good example of a DEEP depth of field, that whole photograph was in focus.

The men in the background are very much out of focus, thus the ghostly appearance. The woman on the left and the one shoveling sand into the riddle were the most still, and most clearly in focus. The tower that is the most properly in focus and exposed the best. The shovel handle sticking up behind the tower is out of focus .

The woman on the left and the one shoveling sand into the riddle were the most still, and most clearly in focus. The tower that is the most properly in focus and exposed the best. The shovel handle sticking up behind the tower is out of focus.

There appears to be molds, possibly for wheels in the foreground.

The most puzzling thing to me is that BRIGHT spot behind the man and the woman on the left. I wonder if that is a furnace glowing in the background?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 7, 2020)

Thanks

Rikk's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfols View Post
    Thanks for posting Rikk. It could have been interesting but couldn't get past his obsession with poop.
    Yes, I agree, it does get a little old at times, but I figure it's just his writers and not him specifically. He actually has done a lot to help promote the trades and has established a foundation for trade school scholarships.

I really admire what he is doing for us. As someone who started my career as an apprentice sweeping the floor and cleaning up chips in an "old school" machine shop and is now an engineer for an aerospace manufacturer, I appreciate that he is making it cool again to work hard, pay your dues and work your way to the top through ability and knowledge.

His foundation:

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rikk For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 7, 2020)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Yes, I agree, it does get a little old at times, but I figure it's just his writers and not him specifically. He actually has done a lot to help promote the trades and has established a foundation for trade school scholarships.

I really admire what he is doing for us. As someone who started my career as an apprentice sweeping the floor and cleaning up chips in an "old school" machine shop and is now an engineer for an aerospace manufacturer, I appreciate that he is making it cool again to work hard, pay your dues and work your way to the top through ability and knowledge.

His foundation:

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/
    Just can't believe during the mixing of the sand and manure no one said "So, what's brown and sounds like a bell?"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 7, 2020), Rikk (Mar 6, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    Blacksmith shop, Massachusetts, circa 1900.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...p_fullsize.jpg

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 7, 2020), high-side (Mar 8, 2020), jimfols (Mar 6, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 8, 2020), Seedtick (Mar 6, 2020)

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Wilford Brimley?? My grandfather was a blacksmith around that time. According to family sources he was also an outlaw and a sheriff.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    The Dandy on the left looks like an outlaw...

Thread Information