Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    Mill workers in the spinning room, Magnolia, Mississippi, 1911.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (May 12, 2020), jimfols (May 11, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 11, 2020), volodar (May 16, 2020)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Mostly children...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    There are a lot of children, why are two women wearing wide brim hats?

Thanks
    'Mill workers in the spinning room, Magnolia, Mississippi, 1911.'

Those fire buckets may contain sand.
    But I found this interesting. The rounded-bottom bucket is far more efficient in launching the water at the fire than a flat bottom bucket.
    Jim

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

baja (May 12, 2020), Jon (May 11, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 11, 2020), volodar (May 16, 2020)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looks like a nice, bright cheery place... Until you notice that it's lit (on darker days or nights, by a handful of bare, incandescent bulbs that look to be about 10' - 12' apart. In my shop I have 4' LED lights every 8' or so that give of 10X the light of those bulbs. Now ask women and children to work around a bunch open spindles and other pinch points and moving parts... YIKES!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    Looks like a nice, bright cheery place... Until you notice that it's lit (on darker days or nights, by a handful of bare, incandescent bulbs that look to be about 10' - 12' apart. In my shop I have 4' LED lights every 8' or so that give of 10X the light of those bulbs. Now ask women and children to work around a bunch open spindles and other pinch points and moving parts... YIKES!
    Lighting options has greatly improved over the years
    While hazards in the work place have been reduced immensely throughout the years so has training and awareness of the hazards which still exist, and are more difficult and in some cases nearly impossible to completely eliminate.
    I worked around some flat belt equipment as a teenager most all of it had been converted to individual motor drives and could be stopped independently of everything else it was still next to impossible to change speeds unless the belts were turning maybe not actually under power at the time usually we changed the speeds as the motors were winding down. Slowing the speed of the machine was easy as gravity helped you. You simply used a push stick to slip the belt down to a smaller diameter pulley then used it to force the belt over the larger one on the bottom, but when changing in the other direction you had to do this in reverse meaning the belt had to be lifted and forced to climb over the larger pulley. Do this while the motor was still turning fast and if you weren't careful it would grab the stick before you could get it fully out of the way and smack you right in the face or send it flying through the shop or break it. Do the change when the RPMs had fallen off to the point that momentum was lost and the 4 or 6 inch wide belt might not rout itself in place. if it was mostly seated then you simply started the motor if it was only partially on then you had to roll it by hand but if it failed to make the climb and the motor stopped then you had to start the motor and try again.
    Trust me when you are 12 or 13 years old you learn very quickly how to time things just right very quickly
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

volodar (May 16, 2020)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    My father was working for 'Briggs Motor Bodies' after WW2 at the Southern end of Eastleigh airport, where the first flight of the Spitfire took place and many aircraft were built in the that building, there the lighting was an incandesent bulb every 4 yards, Ford Motor Company bought Briggs for the site and to bring a major part supplier 'in-house'. Fords first action was to install continuos strip lighting 4 tubes wide 10 feet apart throughout the building, eliminating all the dark corners and hidey-holes at a stroke. https://www.fordtransition.org.uk/im...embly-Line.jpg
    The Cunliffe-Owen buildings that became the Ford site https://supermariners.files.wordpres...en-factory.jpg Note the lack of 'North-light' roof layout and roof glazing, something Ford also added to their plant extensions.
    Last edited by NeiljohnUK; May 12, 2020 at 09:22 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

baja (May 13, 2020), Beserkleyboy (May 12, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    Salmon fishery, Celilo Falls, Oregon, 1941.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (May 16, 2020), dubbby (May 16, 2020), jimfols (May 17, 2020), Seedtick (May 15, 2020), volodar (May 16, 2020)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I wonder how many people fell in and got swept away before securing themselves with rope...

Thanks
    'Salmon fishery, Celilo Falls, Oregon, 1941.'

I never heard of it but I found this interesting.

On March 10, 1957, the massive steel and concrete floodgates of newly completed The Dalles Dam on the Columbia River are closed, and within hours Celilo Falls, approximately 13 miles upstream, disappears beneath the rising waters. The falls formed a rough horseshoe shape across the river, and nearby are two ancient Indian villages -- Wyam, on the Oregon side of the river, and S'kin on the other shore -- which also disappear into the reservoir behind the dam. Tribes from near and far have for thousands of years come here to fish, trade, and socialize, and the loss of the falls and downstream waters is a heavy blow to traditional Native culture. Tribal members are among the 10,000 people who gather to witness the opening of the dam and the submergence of Celilo Falls, celebrated by some and considered by others a heartbreaking turning point.
    Jim

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

baja (May 16, 2020), Seedtick (May 15, 2020), toeless joe (May 16, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2020), volodar (May 16, 2020)

Thread Information