Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3D printing gaskets

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    they started encapsulating the gaskets in the parts they were made to fit.a few nubs to hold them in place and a total soround of the part on each edge keeps the soft gasket in plase so it can do it's one job.seal!!! but you dont have that so you need the gasket to have a solid seat(washer at each bolt/screw/fastner location) I suppose for some applications it may not even need that where the load is spread over a large area like timing covers on engines,chevy,ford,mopar and more.and the best part is your gasket would be reusable .witch is great for performance guys. wow, this kinda makes me wish I wasent getting out of the perfromance end of things....keep up the great work!!!

what part of GA are you in?
    And I find parts leaking all the time with those encapsulated gaskets under them because some fool over tightened the bolts to the point of deforming the Aluminum casting. Pull it off lay a straight edge on it and it will be warped so badly it might as well have been a stamped part.
    When I am working on something that has a gasket between 2 flat mating surfaces, whenever possible I like to add a grove in the matting surface of the part that is replaceable or if possible make true o ring groves in them, use an o ring of the correct composition for where it is to be used and the likelihood the [art will ever develop a leak is greatly diminished

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,836 Times in 11,335 Posts
    Congratulations theeddies - your 3D-Printed Gaskets are the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Huge potential here, and it will be interesting to see this concept iterate as it's developed further and tested.

Some more good builds from this week:

Inverse Lantern Chuck by Frank S
    Tarp Clamps by Frank S
    Tube Notcher by warsztatOdZera
    Water Filter by olderdan
    Mini Mill Downfeed Crank by dgbreggin
    Bender by Kwandotechnic
    Impact Driver by diy creative crafts
    Belt Grinder by Made by Dad
    Anvil Stand by Catfish
    Glue Bottle Holder by Make Things
    Glue Bottle Prybar by Make Things
    Lathe Knocker by xynudu
    Small Parts Welding Surface by Haslip Cycle Works
    Media Blasting Booth by Frank S
    Vise by orioncons36
    Plasma CNC by vasavoir kikela
    Treadle Grinder by Mr.DK DIY
    Bottle Opener by Retro Steam Tech

theeddies - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

You've also been granted free lifetime Supporting Member status. I've stopped your paid recurring subscription, so you won't have to pay for membership again.

And, you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon (US-only), PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    yes morons always over tighten stuff thinking they they are helping...they arnt. many gaskets are encapuslated nowdays. some stuff is just sily cone, the factorys use plasama torch to preclean befor applying the silly cone, all robotic. I dont know if humans touch engines any more at the factorys. one think to know, if you have the all rubber gadgets and they are old and not leeking NEVER SNUG THEM UP!!! they will develop a leek in a short time. when ever a human is involved...something is gonna get ****ed up.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    yes morons always over tighten stuff thinking they they are helping...they arnt. many gaskets are encapuslated nowdays. some stuff is just sily cone, the factorys use plasama torch to preclean befor applying the silly cone, all robotic. I dont know if humans touch engines any more at the factorys. one think to know, if you have the all rubber gadgets and they are old and not leeking NEVER SNUG THEM UP!!! they will develop a leek in a short time. when ever a human is involved...something is gonna get ****ed up.
    Surely cannot argue with yhour last sentence or so.

Bill

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Apr 8, 2022)

Thanks
    you can fix gaskets , you can fix ugly, you can even fix fat ,but you cant fix stupid. and the sad thing is you dont have to be stupid to do stupid things...well unless you do them a lot.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    you can fix gaskets , you can fix ugly, you can even fix fat ,but you cant fix stupid. and the sad thing is you dont have to be stupid to do stupid things...well unless you do them a lot.
    Against Stupidity, even the Gods struggle in vain! Not even duct tape can fix stupid. Though it can muffle the noise a bit. I claim to be crazy, not stupid, but there are people who know me well who will argue with that, and I've done enough stupid stuff throughout the past nearly 7 decades that I maybe can't really argue with them.

Though I do TRY not to be or do stupid.

Bill

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Apr 12, 2022)

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    A year ago while doing spring service on a mower I discovered that the plastic gas cap had broken. Jacked apart by the threads. Factory replacements were $12 plus shipping.
    Found a file ready made on thingyverse and printed a new cap with PETG for $1.50. It leaked a little when the tank was full and sloshing around so I made a gasket out of TPU.
    Checking it today, the cap and gasket are just like they were when new.
    I also printed a plug cover for the 7 pin trailer plug to keep it clean when not in use. It has been in the sun for about 8 or 9 months and is just fine.
    TPU is also a great product for making dog frisbees as they don't break when the dog bites down too hard. TPU is impressively tough. BTW, my printer is a bottom of the line unit with a bowden tube and it works just fine but it is a little fussy. I print at 240* C

10. The Following User Says Thank You to piper184 For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Apr 12, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by piper184 View Post
    A year ago while doing spring service on a mower I discovered that the plastic gas cap had broken. Jacked apart by the threads. Factory replacements were $12 plus shipping.
    Found a file ready made on thingyverse and printed a new cap with PETG for $1.50. It leaked a little when the tank was full and sloshing around so I made a gasket out of TPU.
    Checking it today, the cap and gasket are just like they were when new.
    I also printed a plug cover for the 7 pin trailer plug to keep it clean when not in use. It has been in the sun for about 8 or 9 months and is just fine.
    TPU is also a great product for making dog frisbees as they don't break when the dog bites down too hard. TPU is impressively tough. BTW, my printer is a bottom of the line unit with a bowden tube and it works just fine but it is a little fussy. I print at 240* C
    Good to know! Mine is not bottom of the line, but it is a orphan. Only generic parts available for it, as the manufacturer dropped support shortly after I bought it.

Bill

Thanks
    thats awesome info piper!! it sounds like great stuff!! but there has to be a drawback somehwere....did your hair fall out? nuts fall off? dog grow 3 extra legs&half a head? hamster chases cat??

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    There was buying the printer, then learning how to use it, then learning how to use the software that runs it. Also the wasted product in test runs or failed prints.
    Some would call all of that a drawback. As in "why not just buy the right part to start with?"
    I just call it fun. And being self-sufficient....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information