Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Button Head Screw Modification

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

Button Head Screw Modification

I got the inspiration for this screw modification from the thread Rossbotics posted back on June 4, 2018.

I am getting my old tractor back together. Some of the sheet metal is held together with 5/16-24 phillips truss head screws. Many were rusted in place, and the phillips slots are twisted out. Socket drive button head screws would work well, but the head is much smaller on 5/16 button heads than the original screws. A 3/8 button head is only 0.040” smaller than the original screws, so I am going with those.

Button Head Screw Modification-01-original.png

All I had to do was to modify the Rossbotics process a little to utilize the tooling I have on hand.

To drive the screw I had a 7/32 hex, 3/8 drive socket to hold in the lathe chuck. To hold that socket the tail stock I have a 1/4 x 3/8 square adapter that fits into the 1/2” drill chuck in the tail stock.

Button Head Screw Modification-02-drive-parts.png

When holding the screw and socket in the tail stock, there is a too much axial play between all of the components. To deal with that play I made a fixture to hold the screw steady while drilling the center holes. To make that fixture I found a small piece of stout angle. I trued the ends so it can be held securely in my lantern tool post. It was then center drilled. Then drilled to 0.368" with a “U” drill . The 3/8” screw threads measured 0.367.

Button Head Screw Modification-03-center-drill-fixture.png Button Head Screw Modification-03.1-drill-fixture.png

Next the center drill was mounted in the chuck. The fixture lined up with the center drill. The drive components assembled in the tailstock. The tail stock was used to feed the screw into the center drill.

Button Head Screw Modification-04-tail-set-up.png Button Head Screw Modification-04.1-drill-set-up.png Button Head Screw Modification-04.2-drilled-.png

To resize the screws the socket was mounted and carefully centered in the 4 jaw chuck to assure the hex was centered as close as possible. (With the socket in 3 jaw chuck, the hex was over 0.100” off center.) For the tailstock, I have a small “center” that is from my dad’s machinist tool box. It is actually the shank from a broken milling cutter that was ground to a point to use as an accurate prick punch. I broke the tip long ago and reground it to 60˚. I used moly/graphite engine assembly lube on the center.

With this set up I turned the screws to 0.310. Then turned the tip to 0.250 like the originals.

Button Head Screw Modification-05-center-hex.png Button Head Screw Modification-05.1-dead-center.png Button Head Screw Modification-05.2-turn-screw.png

To thread the screws, I mounted a die in the 3 jaw chuck. Take some time to make sure the die is running true in the chuck. Put the drive socket in the tail stock. I use Tap Magic deep taping fluid. It reminds me of good ole STP. It is thick and sticky and does not run off the screw. Set the lathe to LOW speed. Start the lathe an PUSH the tailstock forward to engage the die. Stop when it got close to the head. Finish with a ratchet handle.

Button Head Screw Modification-06-threading.png Button Head Screw Modification-06.1-thread.png

Might be better than original.

Button Head Screw Modification-07-finished-screws.png Button Head Screw Modification-08-installed-screws.png

They stlll need to be painted. Only made two since that was all they had at the hardware store. Have to order more online.

Here is the corrected image. The screw slides though the guide, not the drill.

Button Head Screw Modification-04.1-drill-set-up.png

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Sep 19, 2023 at 12:15 PM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Dollar Bill (Sep 14, 2023), DSTP (Sep 13, 2023), Inner (Sep 13, 2023), Jon (Sep 12, 2023), mr gadgets (Sep 15, 2023), mr mikey (Sep 14, 2023), nova_robotics (Sep 17, 2023), rlm98253 (Sep 13, 2023), sossol (Sep 13, 2023), thevillageinn (Sep 18, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Sep 17, 2023), WmRMeyers (Sep 12, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks hemmjo! We've added your Button Head Screw Modification to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: hemmjo's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,877 Times in 11,345 Posts
    Congratulations hemmjo - your Button Head Screw Modification Method is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Nice careful work doing this screw modification, and this is one of several homemade tools you've made during this tractor restoration.

Some more good builds from this week:

Cigarette Dispenser by Stevohdee
    Hook Knife by Philip Davies
    Sine Table by Alans Home Workshop
    T-Track Router Bit by RCTURKA
    Wall Plug Removal Tool by itzikdiy
    Tapping and Reaming Guide by Philip Davies
    Cargo Trike by fawabros
    Dremel Blower Attachment by My MiniCrafts
    Collet Block by Improvised DIY
    Swivel Hoe by liberal
    Tire Inflator by Maisternia

hemmjo - you'll be receiving a $100 cash prize, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and payment choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 2nd Homemade Tool of the Week. Here are both of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

Thanks

Cascao's Tools
    When I modify a bolt I prefer stainless ones. Doing it on steel bolts remove the coating and bolt will rust badly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    That is a valid issue Cascao. I have been working on old, broken down, rusty stuff for a long time. When I am working on stuff most all fasteners get a light coat of never seize. I always work in the assumption I will live long enough to see this equipment again.

On another note. There is an error in labeling on one of the photos. I can no longer edit the original post.

Here is the corrected image. The screw slides though the guide, not the drill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.1 drill set up.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	46217

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information